We are playing a leading role in delivering a successful exit from the EU, dealing with a vast range of issues which profoundly impact on people’s lives.
We are looking for a talented professional to join our leadership team as a Deputy Director (SCS Pay Band 1). Reporting to the Director of Devolution, Legislation and Governance, you will lead a team of fifty people in providing assurance and support to the Principal Accounting Officer for the Defra group, Clare Moriarty.
This is a relatively new team that brings together responsibilities on corporate governance, accountability, appointments and internal controls.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing strong and effective leadership to develop the team; actively and visibly role modelling the values of being inspiring, confident and empowering, in line with the Civil Service Leadership Statement.
- Ensuring that the Defra Board, Executive Committee and broader corporate governance agenda deliver the Defra group’s strategic objectives forcreating a great place for living.
- Supporting the Board and Executive Committee to provide visible and effective leadership across the Defra group and build a culture that supports more integrated ways of working.
- Providing support, help and challenge across the Defra group to make sure that the corporate governance agenda dovetails seamlessly with the work to develop and implement the department’s policies. Helping ensure coherency and consistency across the group in the delivery of strategic objectives and priorities
- Delivering a high-quality set of corporate governance functions across the Defra group, in particular ensuring that the Defra Board and Exco function smoothly and effectively. Making sure that papers and minutes are produced to a very high standard. Driving continuous improvement in governance across the Defra group, sharing best practice and providing co-ordination and leadership to other secretariats.