Academic Consultant - North West & Ireland
Please note this role is field based
Learner at the heart
Pearson is aglobal education companythat helps people around the world to make progress in their lives through learning. With a rich heritage that combines 150 years of experience in publishing with the latest learning technology and digital services, we help people to learn whatever, wherever and however they choose. We are nowtransforming Pearsonto accelerate our activity in digital learning, education services and emerging markets. This will enable us to make a lasting impact in helping to solve some of the most important challenges in global education.
Why we need you
We believe education is a vital force that can empower people, help them to reach their potential and contribute to more connected communities, all around the world. Our strength comes from our outstanding people; our strong relationships in the education world; our expertise in using technology to help people learn; our global footprint and local reach; and our position as a profitable, global company with a unifying sense of purpose.
About the job
Higher Education Services is our leading print and digital courseware and services business in the UK, generating annual sales of around £25m. We partner with customers to provide world-class products and services that meet their needs, and those of their learners, both today and tomorrow.
Reporting to the Sales Manager the Academic Consultant is accountable for revenue generation at module/lecturer and departmental level within Higher Education Institutions, in the assigned territory.
The role will focus on embedding print and digital products into target modules and departments, within target institutions:
- According to account strategy, engage with lecturers, Module Leaders, Course Directors and Heads of Departments
- Understand instructor and learner challenges in the module, programme and department
- Accelerate the transition from print products to digital services
- Embed print and digital products into modules according to account strategy
- Accountable for the effective delivery of products to learners whether digital or print, direct to institution or via bookshop.
Revenue generation and sales activities _:_
- Execute the account strategy to maximise sales of Pearson digital and print products into Higher Education institutions in territory.
- Identify and prioritise target modules in target accounts.
- Sell Pearson products directly to Module Leaders, Course Directors and Heads of Departments
- Maintain and acquire new adoptions at module and departmental level.
- Engage with academic staff to understand learning objectives of modules and programmes, with Digital Solutions and Services team
- Accelerate the transition from indirect sales (to students via bookshops/ online retailers) to direct (within modules, as part of an overall strategy for the institution).
- Accelerate the transition from print products to digital services.
- Accountable for timely delivery of digital products to modules. Accountable for adequate stock in bookshops (and timely delivery).
- Maintains relationships with book shop managers
- Working with the Commercial and Channel Management team, maximise student-driven revenue from institutions with a physical campus bookshop
- Drives usage of Pearson products within modules, maximizes digital Registrations, minimise print returns.
- Target competitors and substitutes Pearson products.
- Utilise appropriate sales tools within the sales process to increase effectiveness.
- Deliver year-on-year growth of key accounts.
- Analyse pipeline information and other sales intelligence in order to prioritise Account Team activities.
- Deliver accurate and timely sales proposals at module level.
- Lead effective negotiations at module level.
- Deliver Departmental Demonstrations to highlights Pearson capabilities in line with departmental teaching and learning requirements
- Have an outstanding knowledge of Pearson print and digital products:
- key book titles and their accompanying digital resources
- other key digital products (Revel, enhanced eBooks, simulations, etc)
- our digital platforms
- Maintain product knowledge and keep up to date with technological
enhancements to our platforms.
- Able to deliver compelling product demonstrations to lecturers,
Module Leaders, Course Directors and departments whether print or digital, regardless of subject area
Sales Planning and Record Keeping:
- Create and maintain territory plans that build on the general account strategy.
- Maintain accurate and current details of contacts, calls and opportunities in CRM.
- Use CRM to inform sales planning, territory prioritisation, market share analysis and forecasting.
- Provide regular sales reports as required by the Academic Sales Manager and senior management
Working in an Account Team
- Work effectively with Account Manager, Inside Sales Consultant and Custom Publishing Consultant to build a base of high quality, long term adoptions in target accounts to support institution-wide sales.
- Work effectively with the Digital Solutions and Services team to:
- establish learning outcomes early in the sales process
- build training as part of our solution
- work with Training Consultant to identify and close new opportunities within the existing customer base
- implement ongoing training programmes with selected clients
- triage customer queries
- Work effectively with other business functions to deliver solutions:
operations, customer services, marketing, portfolio management, finance, senior management.
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Essential Experience and competencies:
- Target and performance driven
- Proven record of achieving results
- Highly motivated
- Customer Focused
- Strong organisational and planning skills – manages detail well
- Strong Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Commitment & flexibility
- Experience in business to business sales
- Educated to degree level (preferred)
- Experience of working in or selling into the Higher Education sector (preferred)
- Strong selling skills / negotiation and presentation skills
- Demonstrate collaborative attitude and behaviour consistent with team and organisational values
- Aptitude for learning new technologies and skills. Comfortable with digital and print media.
- Excellent presentation skills
- Field based and willing to travel within the UK & Ireland
- Ability to work on a non 9 to 5 schedule
- Ability to work under pressure during peak Back-To-University periods
- Located within the North West of England, preferably in proximity to a major airport (Manchester / Liverpool)
- Full driving licence
- Organisationally AgileAdapts quickly to new situations where roles and work are not clearly defined. Proactively seeks information to understand the reasons for change and adapts approach accordingly.
- Influences without AuthorityConveys messages and clear outcomes to diverse audiences using the most effective channels in an easily understood, convincing and actionable manner. Identifies stakeholders, seeks input and actively listens to build support and identify best solutions.
- Prioritises and makes Effective DecisionsBreaks down work into manageable parts, assessing the priorities and schedule required to deliver on time. Ensures the quality of the data provided to analyse possible solutions and support effective decision making.
- Builds RelationshipsCreates relationships with peers quickly and confidently, building trust and win-win partnerships. Proactively networks with other teams to discuss common issues and share knowledge.
- Outcomes OrientedDifferentiates between outputs and outcomes, working with a focus on achieving desired outcomes. Understands the intended outcomes of own work and how they contribute to Pearson’s broader objectives including customers and learners.
- Continuously ImprovesActively seeks opportunities for improvement and presents ideas for increasing effectiveness and efficiency of own work. Demonstrates willingness and flexibility to adapt own approach to new ways of working to achieve improved outcomes.
- Evidence InformedIdentifies and collects reliable data necessary to build evidence to enable and support decisions. Organises and analyses information (into meaningful / related areas) to form robust, evidence-based conclusions.
- Commercially AwareUnderstands and can articulate Pearson’s business goals and what own business, own team and self do to contribute to Pearson’s success. Uses that knowledge to identify better ways of working to meet those goals.
- Digitally FocusedUnderstands and embraces how digital technology is changing education and assessment and the implications this has on own day-to-day work. Recognises the opportunities digital technology creates for Pearson to increase its reach, generate profitable business opportunities and create more effective products for its market.
- Driven by Customer and Learner RequirementsUnderstands customer/learner needs, what they value and why, and applies creative thinking to make a difference. Makes decisions that have a positive impact on customer and learner issues for the benefit of Pearson overall.
Primary Location: GB-GB-Harlow
Other Locations GB-Cumbria, GB-Greater Manchester, GB-Cheshire, GB-Merseyside, GB-Lancashire, United Kingdom
Work Locations: GB-Harlow-Kao Park Kao Park London Rd Harlow CM17 9NA
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Feb 15, 2019
Job Unposting: Mar 1, 2019
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1900813
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.