In 2020, bp announced an exciting new strategy, reimaginging the company from an integrated oil company to an integrated energy company. It announced ambituous targets, many associated with the power sector, including an ambition to develop 50GW of renewable power by 2030. This role is key to helping bp achieve these targets and transform bp.
The main focus of the role will be to produce long-term power market and price projections to underpin and influence bp's business, planning and strategy decisions.
The role will involve the creation and maintenance of long-term market and fundamental price projections for U.S. power markets, in addition to other electricity/ power markets of interest to bp. These views will require the development and maintenance of power market models, data and assumptions to provide a quantitative and fundamental framework for valuation in the long-term space. Analysis performed by the individual and team will have a direct linkage through asset/business-specific price projections to commercial value creation.
Reporting to the Head of Power Markets, the Power Markets team is located in bp's centralized and enabling Strategy & Sustainability organization. You will be involved in a diverse range of projects, mostly in service of bp's businesses with exposure to the power sector. The role will require working in close collaboration with internal customers and alignment with bp's short-term power analytics team.
* Create and maintain long-term power market and price projections in U.S power markets, in addition to other power markets of interest to bp
* Provide asset/business-specific price projections, including for investment and planning purposes
* Provide power market insights to inform bp strategy development
* Develop and maintain power market models, data and assumptions
* Monitor power market outlook developments in U.S., and other power markets of interest to bp
* Provide advice and analytics to support bp's Energy Outlook
* Work collaboratively with bp business, trading, strategy and insight teams
* Degree-level qualification or higher in a quantitative subject:
o Economics, statistical, mathematical, operational research, engineering, scientific or similar disciplines preferred.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND JOB REQUIREMENTS
* Knowledgeable of U.S. power market fundamentals
* Experienced practitioner of long-term optimization and simulation power market models, for example, PLEXOS, BID3, etc.
* Strong analytical skills and experience synthesizing complex data from multiple sources into clear and consistent structures
* Advanced MS Excel knowledge, including VBA
* Able to work on multiple simultaneous projects
* Strong written and verbal communication skills, able to write effective executive briefings
* Self-starter, able to work independently as well as demonstrating strong team working skills
* Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all levels with stakeholders around the world from many cultures and backgrounds
* Able to build and maintain extensive internal and external networks
* Strong character, able to influence internal bp customers and external stakeholders
* Experience in providing price and commercial analysis to power businesses
* Broad knowledge of global power and/or energy markets
* Experience working with programming languages like Python, Matlab, R, SQL etc in an industry setting.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test(and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½" scalp, or > 2 cm/¾" body - arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at ; or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the poster supplement - for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. (Spanish version)
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement