Associate Financial Analyst - Project Accounting
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Summary of role:
- The financial analyst will be responsible for assisting with the end-to-end management accounts for the Technical Qualification (TQ) business. This position will work closely with all departments and finance teams to ensure that financial activities are recorded and reported on an accurate and timely basis whilst meeting all corporate policies.
- Performance of activity to the highest standards. Identifying opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Assist with the month-end and year-end finance processes for the TQ business to ensure management accounts are completed accurately and on-time.
- Contribute to the TQ business by providing timely and accurate financial information and advice – presenting monthly and annual results for Projects and the business P&L, input to forecasts and budgets as required, and contributing to business cases and bids.
- Contribute to team effort and assist co-workers as needed to balance workloads, and share knowledge. Help to create a work atmosphere conducive to a high degree of integrity and teamwork.
- Ensure that Pearson policies and processes are understood, applied and are effective for the TQ business, and meets all compliance requirements (SOX, audit, etc.).
- Identify opportunities for continuous process improvement and innovative solutions and apply them as appropriate.
- Ensure all process documentation is accurate and kept up-to-date.
- Work with the Local UK Financial Control team and the Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) team in Bangalore to ensure processes are complete, and accurate and process improvements are identified and adopted.
Technical activities/responsibilities (identified but not limited to):
- Assist in the co-ordination of the month end close process for the TQ business and associated Legal/Prime entities. To include journal preparation, inter-company reconciliations, management review of results and financial reporting to the group consolidation system (Prime).
- Assist in preparation of the formal Balance Sheet Reviews for the business and identification of Risks and Opportunities. Review of monthly Balance Sheet reconciliation Lead Schedule, assistance with resolution of Open Items and identification of areas for additional attention.
- Assist with project billing for TQ’s long–term contracts, via the Oracle Project Accounting module, and liaison with Project Managers to ensure billing is accurate and timely.
- Assist with project accounting to ensure payroll and other costs are allocated to the correct projects, and project P&L’s are produced accurately and on-time, and reviewed with project managers.
- Review account reconciliations and analysis and liaison with BPO and wider Pearson Financial Services (PFS) team to resolve outstanding/reconciling items.
- Prepare ad-hoc analysis / production of reports as requested to support accurate reporting and support business decisions. Aggregate data required to support internal and external customers.
- Assist with Annual Desktop Procedure (DTP) review and write up for any new processes created or transitioned to IBM.
- Request and process accruals or other adjustments to the accounts. Review of month end postings for quality, identifying necessary material adjustments required and requesting necessary journal entries.
- Assist with financial compliance activities for the TQ business around PO creation, invoice approval, Project billing, journal preparation and approval, and all other financial controls.
- Ensure timing and classification of entries are correct and that accounting treatment is consistent across Pearson in the UK.
- Ensure that corporate policies and procedures are consistently applied.
Minimum of one (1) years of relevant experience essential. All candidates must be able to actively demonstrate accounting skills and understanding of key accounting concepts.
Prior knowledge or experience in some or all of the following areas will be an advantage.
- Finance function and accounting operations, financial management and management accounting
- Management reporting (including variance analysis)
- Detailed knowledge around finance function processes (RTR, PTP, OTC and Project Accounting)
- Flexibility to meet tight and changing deadlines.
- Oracle Project Accounting
Primary Location: GB-GB-Belfast
Work Locations: GB-Belfast-Millennium House Millennium House, 1st Floor Great Victoria Street Belfast BT2 7AQ
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jul 2, 2018
Job Unposting: Jul 23, 2018
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1809740
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled