Associate Technical Project Manager
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
The Associate Technical Project Manager (TPM) is responsible for leading technology projects in the Infrastructure and Operations team. He/she ensures the effective delivery and execution of projects by providing end-to-end guidance from solution design and requirement negotiation to final customer acceptance. The Associate Technical Project Manager will represent all Infrastructure and Operations teams in interactions with internal customers and peer teams across multiple Pearson organizations. Typical projects will consist of implementing new application and infrastructure environments to deliver a new software product to our customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as a key participant on an effective technology project team ensuring all necessary technical groups are represented on the team.
- Create, manage and report on the financial progress of the projects.
- Manage forecasted project cost to the scope of the project.
- Estimate and report on labor for project teams.
- Use tools and technology to make data driven decisions around projects and processes.
- Provide leadership to ensure the timely execution and delivery of the activities contained in the project plan and schedule.
- Provide quality assurance for products including reviewing infrastructure as code requirements and ensuring the systems are tested as designed.
- Work closely with Infrastructure and Operations management team to provide leadership in delivering business commitments and meeting customer expectations.
- Pursue continuous improvements to achieve project objective and quality.
- Represent Pearson and the Infrastructure and Operations team in a professional, courteous and helpful manner when interfacing with internal customers.
- Provide input into project proposal, planning the project, resource hours, and developing the project plan and schedule.
- Review and negotiate internal and external customer requirements and recommend best practices for existing Pearson offerings.
- Identify, document, negotiate, and manage scope change and costs within technology projects.
- Determine project resource requirements and negotiate with product managers for project resource commitments to meet those requirements.
- Ensure the appropriate application of relevant standards.
- Use business and technical expertise to analyze design alternatives to meet project requirements.
- Interface with managers and other development groups in Pearson to create efficient product deployment and implementation strategies.
- Plan and manage efforts of a matrix team of resources.
- Lead work efforts with internal customers to analyze current business processes, identify opportunities for improvements through technology and prepare detailed “future state” business process maps and related documentation.
- Provide outstanding internal and external customer services.
- Employ diplomacy and problem resolution techniques to solve customer and internal issues.
- Ensure effective communication between stakeholders.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required. MBA or advanced degree preferred. PMP certification desired.
- Focus on Business Analytics and Cost Management preferred.
- Amazon Web Services Solutions Architect Certification is recommended.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-IA-Iowa City
Other Locations US-TX-Austin, US-TX-San Antonio
Work Locations: US-IA-Iowa City-2510 North Dodge 2510 North Dodge Street Iowa City 52245
Job: Project/Programme Management
Organization: Assessments School
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: May 16, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1807577
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled