BTEC Sport Sector Manager
Learner at the heart
Pearson is a global education company that helps people around the world to make progress in their lives through learning. With a rich heritage that combines 150 years of experience in publishing with the latest learning technology and digital services, we help people to learn whatever, wherever and however they choose. We are now transforming Pearson to accelerate our activity in digital learning, education services and emerging markets. This will enable us to make a lasting impact in helping to solve some of the most important challenges in global education.
Why we need you
We believe education is a vital force that can empower people, help them to reach their potential and contribute to more connected communities, all around the world. Our strength comes from our outstanding people; our strong relationships in the education world; our expertise in using technology to help people learn; our global footprint and local reach; and our position as a profitable, global company with a unifying sense of purpose.
About the job
Pearson has a long and successful history and leads the way in the development of its vocational and work‐based learning qualification offer across the majority of sectors and at all levels. Our qualifications are developed against world class benchmarks to ensure that we equip learners with the underpinning knowledge, skills and behaviours needed for them to be successful in their careers. We also make sure that we support those delivering our qualifications with high‐quality learning solutions and continuous professional development: a fully integrated approach to teaching, learning and assessment. Alongside these developments we complement our offer by ensuring that, for the future, our solutions are offered digitally. At this time of significant change in the education system and the move to develop differentiated pathways for learners, we need to ensure that we continue to be the leading brand and are at the forefront of providing innovative solutions.
Our focus is applied, technical and professional qualifications, holistic apprenticeship and other tender solutions, integrated teaching and learning support and digitally‐enabled learning support and assessment. This role is responsible for Pearson’s integrated offer and the securing and growing of our market share for the allocated sector or sectors. It will lead development and delivery of a coherent strategy for the sectors the role is responsible for across all our customers (colleges, training providers, employers and schools).
- To maintain a deep and coherent understanding of teaching, learning and assessment for a sector / sectors through close liaison with sector stakeholders
- To maintain a deep understanding of customer needs and market dynamics for a sector / sectors through close liaison with sector customers (colleges, training providers, employers and schools)
- To define the sector digital product and portfolio strategy and roadmap for different market segments aligning with divisional strategies and priorities and lead on the design and implementation, working closely with functional area colleagues
- To lead development of the business strategy for qualification and end‐point assessment developments and tenders in a sector / sectors
- To provide a best‐in‐class customer experience through the free surround, events and information we provide to our customers throughout the lifecycle, continually improving that experience in a sector / sectors
- To contribute to the growth strategy of our vocational and work‐based learning portfolio and the continual improvement of how we do things as a department and as a wider business.
- To build good understanding and relationships throughout Pearson so colleagues deliver a best‐in class customerexperience
1. Developing and maintaining segment, sector and market insight
- Create and maintain an in‐depth evidence base of learner needs in each segment (e.g. colleges, private training providers, employers and schools,) through regular research with tutors, stakeholders and learners
- Create and maintain an in‐depth evidence base of tutor/centre needs and behaviours in each segment through regular research
- Develop and maintain understanding of the direct to learner market
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of competitors, tracking and anticipating their activity
- Develop and maintain relationships with segment and sector stakeholders throughout the life of a product (i.e. qualification, EPA, digital learning content) or service, to build an evidence base to support developments and annual reviews through the lifecycle
- Develop and maintain insight into best practice (pedagogy, assessment) by segment
2. Developing strategy and propositions, managing budgets, and forecasting
- Manage products and services through their lifecycle, making well‐timed decisions about withdrawal, extension, redevelopment, new market entry and strategies for mid‐cycle growth in conjunction with the Heads of Sector Development
- Create winning propositions that have clear USPs and meet the financial targets agreed
- Track, analyse and respond to competitor activity
- Manage opex and capex budgets for all products and services within a sector / sectors
- Contribute to the financial and strategic planning process, reviewing one‐ and three‐year forecasts for a sector / sectors
3. Supporting customers through the lifecycle and improving customer experience
- Review customer experience at regular points through the lifecycle (from customer satisfaction tracking to regular, in‐depth qualitative insight)
- Work with colleagues to instigate a step‐change in the customer experience of our vocational and work‐based learning products and services, to deliver consistently high satisfaction and retention levels, and to systematically attract new business
- Anticipate and meet customer needs better than our competitors, defining and at times commissioning sector specific, high‐quality free surround and support services at launch, for tenders and/or throughout the lifecycle as part of a coherent, integrated proposition across free and paid‐for.
4. Briefing, developing and launching new products and services
- Create design proposals for products and services that draw from a strong, research‐driven evidence base (including labour market information), and deliver the strategy and proposition agreed
- Contribute to product developments through the writing, submission and resubmission process (e.g. sourcing and briefing writers, reviewing materials, ongoing content research and development) to ensure they are fully in line with stakeholder and customer requirements and our strategy
- Secure customer and stakeholder support, endorsement and exclusive partnerships for our products
- Work with sales and marketing colleagues to devise and implement an effective data‐driven campaign strategy and customer journey
- Work with professional development and marketing colleagues to plan, commission and deliver customer‐facingevents and networks; and to recruit, train and deploy sector specialists for events
5. Leadership and people management
- Work effectively in virtual teams with colleagues across Pearson to ensure a positive working culture, in support of Pearson UK and BTEC and Apprenticeships divisional strategies
- Champion a ‘customer first’ culture across Pearson, ensuring that all decisions are made with reference to the needs of our customers and learners
- Lead on departmental initiatives to deliver better service to our customers and learners, and drive growth
Desired behavioural competencies
- Virtual team and people leadership and management skills
- Strategic thinking skills: the ability to think strategically, identify attractive market segments and key sources of competitive advantage, and to balance a strong commercial focus with regulatory and legal requirements, assessment reliability/validity and operational requirements to create solutions for customers that are practical and have competitive advantage
- Creative thinking and customer empathy: the ability to articulate new propositions based on customer needs
- Relationship building: in particular, with customers, employers, professional bodies, commercial partners, government agencies and within Pearson
- Communication, networking and influencing externally and internally (in particular to work effectively with colleagues in Pearson across different sites and within a matrix structure)
- Commercial and financial planning skills: the ability to plan and monitor revenue and profit
- Organisational and project management skills
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Essential skills, qualifications and experience
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent
- Product management experience; experience in managing digital products is desirable
- Experience and understanding of qualifications and the UK education market and environment (e.g. colleges, private training providers, employers, professional bodies)
- Experience and understanding of a sector / sectors
- Good understanding of education and learning from a consumer viewpoint: ability to translate the winning product management strategies into actionable plans and products that drive value for customers and learners.
- Great insight into the needs of different markets and the opportunities within them, capability to build execution around product strategies that serve multiple markets at once.
- Develop an understanding of the digital world and ability to translate this into product realisation, team mindset and ways of working.
This role can be located at either of our offices at 80 Strand, London, Kao Park, Harlow Essex or The Lighthouse, Salford Quays, Manchester. We can also offer some flexibility for home working.
Pearson is featured on The Forbes list of Best Employers and The Stonewall Top 100 Employers list, and we are recognised in the Best Employers for Diversity 2019 awards. Pearson is also listed on both the London and New York Stock Exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO).
Your Rewards & Benefits
We know you’ll do great work, so we give a lot back with some of the best benefits in the business. We know that one size doesn’t fit all, so our workplace programs meet the different needs of our diverse teams, and their families too. There is a range of options, but when you join our Pearson family these are some of the benefits that we offer that you can look forward to:-
25 Days annual leave, this increases by 1 day each year up to 30 days with the option to buy and sell up to 5 days per year on top of this. A fantastic Pension plan, where Pearson double what you contribute. Pearsons other benefits also include private dental care, private medical insurance, digital GP service, season ticket loan, eye tests, cycle to work scheme, volunteering days, employee wellbeing assistance discounted retail and leisure products and services from leading companies and much more.
Our Recruitment Process
Please complete and submit your application along with your CV and a covering letter outlining why you feel you are suitable for this position before midnight on Friday 25th September and ensure that you apply directly on our Pearson Careers website only.
We are reviewing applications regularly and interviews are being scheduled now, therefore we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible. Wishing you success with your application!
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Other Locations GB-GB-Manchester, GB-GB-Oxford
Work Locations: GB-London-80 Strand 80 Strand London WC2R 0RL
Job: Product Management
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Sep 25, 2020
Job Unposting: Sep 27, 2020
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 2008588
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.