The Business Development Manager will report to the Whiting Business Improvement Manager and will be accountable to help the refinery to delivery lasting performance improvement through optimization and smart investment decisions. The Business Development Manager will provide leadership and challenge to the front-end loading stages of project development for commercial growth initiatives and/or large strategic investments. This role will work as the Whiting facilitator for getting projects socialized/approved/funded and ensure that investments align with Whiting's vision. The Business Development Manager, in collaboration with FNA Strategy, will evaluate the refinery configuration, informed by current/planned constraints and emerging fundamentals, to ensure the refinery remains competitively positioned.
The Business Development Manager will have two direct reports (Capital Planning SPA and Commercial Analyst).
The Business Development Manager will be part of the Whiting Business Improvement Team. The Business Improvement Team is established to enable the refinery to become the safest and most profitable refinery in the US by focusing in the following areas:
- Improve Safety and Compliance performance - Industry leaders in personal and process safety.
- Most Profitable Refinery in the US (NCM)
- Improve our Availability - enable utilization of advantaged assets
- Reduce our cost base - be competitive and protect us when margins are low.
- Improve our gross margin capture
- Market Fundamentals / Competitive Intelligence - Assess refinery competiveness and refinery competitiveness based on the analysis of the external market environments (crude and product market).
- Constraint Management - Develop deep understanding of refinery key long-term constraints (3+ years) and assess opportunities to alleviate constraints to increase refining value (improved yields and/or capacity/utilization).
- Project Sponsorship - Act as a Project Sponsor for Commercial Growth projects and/or strategic investments. Provide leadership and challenge to ensure that only the right projects get funded for the site. This includes participation in site-level project governance, establishing clear and prioritized objectives, proactively networking business cases and/or Financial Memorandum and progressing major projects through concept option selection.
- Refinery Asset Strategy - Facilitate drafting and annual update of the Refinery Asset Strategy in coordination Central Strategy Team, Asset Teams, Project Development Leads, and other functional Subject Matter Experts. Facilitate the annual update of the unit- and/or system-specific strategies (strong input from Asset Teams) and investment plans that support the broader Refinery and Fuels N. America Strategy.
- Convenor of the 'Project and Initiative Review' to determine if/how projects initiated external to refinery (i.e. Supply and/or IST) align with refinery strategy and determine what incremental refining value can/will be created. Align resources within refinery to capture incremental value.
- Provide leadership for refinery capital budget and the long-term commercial analysis.
- Facilitate Post-Project Evaluation for commercial projects.
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree is required
- Minimum of 7-years relevant experience in refining and/or petrochemicals projects, operations, engineering, and/or commercial roles.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience.
- Strong commercial acumen
- Demonstrated drive to proactively and relentlessly enact positive change in a manufacturing site.
- Demonstrated capabilities in managing responsibilities, meeting tight deadlines and overcoming barriers to deliver success.
- Dynamic communication skills and the ability to interact effectively at all levels throughout the various functional areas of the refinery.
- Intellectual curiosity to challenge the status quo and provide innovative ideas balanced with the ability to deliver tangible results.
- High level of personal and professional integrity and strong support of BP values and behaviours.