The Category Manager, Manufacturing Operations (CM) plays a critical role in realising Downstream Procurement's (DP) objective to become a world-class procurement organisation with leading capability in category management that deliver relevant, value-adding category strategies to BP's Downstream businesses. The CM is responsible for end-to-end category performance, and supplier performance management. You will lead and develop a team of specialist category management professionals. In this role, you will lead the chemicals and chemical managed services category for the US Downstream business. You will create transformative category strategies, based on supply market expertise, current and future business needs and global category spend and innovation opportunities that identify impactful business value. You will work closely with the Global Procurement team and support functions to ensure aligned and efficient strategies are in place. The CM and their team will deliver value to the business through taking the lead in the category and ensuring compliance to the agreed strategy and sourcing expectations. The CM assures that all work activity performed at a category level has the necessary urgency to support safe, compliant, reliable, and efficient business operations.
- Working with the business interface resources in the Downstream Procurement (DP) organisation to ensure consistency and alignment of messages, and that customers are satisfied with the procurement service provided, and understand its value and impact on the business. To own relationships with key regional and/or global suppliers
- Working through the business interface resources in the DP organisation, manages the Procurement interface for category relevant site / region functional roles e.g. Technical Managers for Manufacturing or Marketing Managers and Retail Compliance Managers for Sales, Marketing & Supply
- Working through the Business Interface organisation, manage business stakeholders to secure buy-in for category strategy, support and resourcing for implementation and category compliance as well as managing the interface between category strategy development and implementation by the delivery organisation, working in partnership with Category Excellence, GBS, Business Interface and Business teams
Category Strategy and Implementation
- Analyse demand and supply market to prepare and deliver category and sourcing strategies (ensuring alignment with business strategies) to deliver agreed financial targets
- Provide deep expertise within their category area, with an intimate knowledge of the supply market, key dynamics and latest thinking within the field. Have a clear view of Supply Market Analysis and segmentation as well as developing and driving category strategy and implementation plan, taking in account optimum purchasing channels and contracting
- Ensure timeliness and quality of all contracts required for safe, compliant and reliable business operations i.e. implementation in the appropriate systems, compliance and contract management and requisitioner training
- Working within the global category network, ensures that category strategies and implementation take full advantage of global sources of supply, and works with the business interface organisation to build support for new and innovative sources of supply
Sourcing and Supplier Management
- Manages key supplier relationships for the category as defined by the Global Category Director.
- Runs supplier performance management (SPM) and supplier relationship management (SRM) programmes for strategic suppliers. In addition to this, the Category Manager supports Safety and Operational Integrity through effective Supplier Quality Management, in accordance with cross-business requirements and protocols.
Global Category Network Management
- Support the Global Category Director (GCD) to manage Category resource capacity (as-is and to-be) by identifying resource requirements and feeding these into the GCD's resource plan
- Support the Global Category Director's broader strategic and capability objectives for the Category by developing Category Specialist talent and instilling a culture of category excellence
HSSE, Ethics & Compliance, Risk & Contract Management
- Assurance of the integrity of all purchasing measures in regards to policies, processes, tools and standards of BP
TAR, Projects and Emergency Incidents
- Support planning efforts for 'turnaround' (TAR)/projects and manage TAR/Project Category Approach
- University degree in a technical or business discipline is required.
- 7 - 10 years relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience at delivering business benefits to an organisation through effective category management.
- Skilled application in:
- Category management (category strategy development and category strategy delivery)
- Tactical procurement
- Supplier management
- Experience of successful delivery working in cross functional teams
- Experience of successful delivery working in cross geography, virtual, teams
- Experience in P2P processes, and working knowledge of SAP functionality