Commercial Propositions Manager
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
The Commercial Propositions Manager plays a pivotal role in driving the growth of Higher Education qualifications and services, both within the UK and internationally, and in positioning Pearson as an organisation dedicated to addressing the employability skills gap.
Possessing excellent commercial and product management skills, coupled with a good understanding of market, competitor analysis and customer needs, you will drive the growth of the Pearson BTEC Higher National (HN) portfolio; identifying emerging opportunities, leading on growth and expansion strategies, product launches, and commercial contracts. Integral to the success of this role will be to ensure the continued profitability of the HN proposition; developing and suggesting improvements to the business model, conduct pricing and profitability reviews, and monitoring and analysing product and market performance data to identify areas of growth. Your excellent communication skills and innate passion for whatever you do will also enable you to champion the HN brand with internal and external stakeholders.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with energy, innovation and vision, who is looking to make a difference and be a key part of Pearson’s employability agenda. If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
Key role-specific deliverables
- Contribute to the growth strategy for HN; identifying market penetration/development and diversification strategies.
- Lead on the implementation of growth initiatives in focus UK and International markets; working with colleagues in the UK and internationally to define sales and marketing strategies, recognition and partnership models, product services and surround, and sales teams training to ensure we offer a strong value proposition, a smooth customer journey and an empowered sales team.
- Monitor and report on portfolio revenue performance; analysing trends, driving action with internal stakeholders when performance dips, as well as monitoring costs and profitability, to ensure that the portfolio continues to deliver against business objectives.
- Lead cross-functional strategies and campaigns to address external threats, to ensure the continued growth of the portfolio.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the HN business model, and drive forward improvements with colleagues around the business.
- Develop pricing strategies for HN products and services.
- Drive commercial opportunities and contracts; working with internal stakeholders across a matrix UK and International structures to identify potential opportunities, pitch solutions to potential partners, and lead the proposition roll-out, bringing in experts as needed. Support the Head of Commercial Management with large bids and tenders, special projects and new market expansion opportunities.
- Champion the HN proposition; participating in new market and product launches, both internally and externally, and leading on initiatives to increase the sales team’s advocacy and knowledge of HN.
- Monitor the marketplace; identifying and sharing information on global skills gaps, trends and key competitor activity, driving action through other teams where necessary.
- Understand UK and international market drivers, champion these within the department, and translate these drivers into potential opportunities for HEQ; working with UK and international colleagues to bring these opportunities through to fruition.
- Manage and define the HN commercial operational plan and budget, ensuring that activities provide value for money and are in line with Pearson’s strategy.
- Champion commercial thinking within the department.
- Support the Head of Commercial Management with the overall commercial strategy for the department.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of the Pearson BTEC Higher National portfolio, its products and markets.
Desirable Previous Experience / Knowledge
- Track record in leading and managing innovative market winning propositions.
- Experience in developing and delivering successful long term strategies for products and/ or services.
- Forward-thinking, pragmatic and commercial approach to work.
- Engaging and confident individual with strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Extensive previous customer facing experience.
- Understands and anticipates customer and student needs to achieve outcomes which benefit. both internal and external customers.
- Experience and evidence of managing client and product profitability.
- Strong written and oral communication, including strong business writing skills, with the ability to present complex issues in an easily understood fashion to internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Strong commercial skills, including budget management and financial analysis.
- Strong data analysis skills.
- Experience of working closely with product, marketing, sales and operations to deliver the best result and event experience.
- Experience of conducting market research to inform product propositions.
- Direct experience of building solutions for/in the education sector.
- Project management experience and/or management of matrix virtual teams.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively within a matrix structure.
- Experience of pitching propositions to external stakeholders.
- Experience within an international educational context.
- Sales experience.
- Experience in building partnerships and driving forward joint ventures.
- Knowledge of vocational education and current market and policy drivers.
- Coaching/ mentoring experience.
- Passion for identifying skills gaps and driving forward the employability agenda
Systems, Tools & IT Literacy
●Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office
Pearson Leadership Profile
●Leading Self/Leading Others/Leading the Business
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Education, Qualifications & Training
●Degree or equivalent
●Business or Strategic Marketing post-graduate qualification
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-80 Strand 80 Strand London WC2R 0RL
Job: Product Management
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Apr 9, 2019
Job Unposting: Apr 30, 2019
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1904906
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.