The Complex Health, Safety, and Environmental (HSE) Specialist is the first point of contact for operating personnel for questions, assistance and direction in the execution of HSE related management systems.
- The HSE Specialist is accountable for the safety and environmental performance of the complex.
- The HSE Specialist works closely with operations and maintenance personnel to assure that day-to-day activities are being conducted in a safe and compliant manner while driving continuous performance improvement and efficiency.
- The HSE Specialist is the first point of contact for all HSE issues in the complex and provides critical input for developing HSE procedures and HSE training.
- This role suggests HSE improvements for not only the complex, but for the Whiting Refinery and may impact several other BP locations.
- This position ensures HSE incidents are appropriately investigated with lessons learned embedded.
- This position performs environmental screening of all MOC's for the complex .
- This position leads L2 HITRA (Risk Assessments) for the complex.
Ultimately, this role will support and coach in the field to deliver HSE improvement plans, ensuring new requirements are appropriately embedded in systematic and in control processes / procedures.
- Drives continuous improvement in complex HSE performance and risk reduction, including working with the complex to develop specific HSE performance improvement plans.
- Articulates and utilizes the trending and analysis of leading HSE indicators and anticipates future performance based on trends.
- Develops and implements a learning culture through lessons learned from near miss reporting, Safety Observations (SOC's), incident investigations and other learning forums.
- Supports and facilitates the Complex HSE Committees meetings.
- Provides technical support including risk assessment for safety and environmental activity within the complex.
- Develops cost effective approaches to achieve compliance with HSE issues.
- Participates in self-verification activities measuring compliance with HSE requirements. This includes compliance audits, self-verification events and Safety Observations & Conversations (SOCs).
- Completes all compliance tasks assigned to the position.
- Recommends practices and procedures for the site, as well as provides feedback from stakeholders on ideas to improve overall effectiveness.
- Participates in the Management of Change (MOCs) process. Assists the operating and maintenance areas in executing the changes by significant field presence/face time with stakeholders.
- Ensure complex Turnaround (TAR) HSE plans are robust and directly supports the execution phase of TARs for all complexes.
- Supports HSE training.
- Provides support, direction and coaching of USW H&S Reps.
BS Degree in Environmental, Health and Safety, or Engineering discipline with at least 5 years of manufacturing experience
- Extensive hands-on experience in providing coaching and support to manufacturing operations and/or maintenance personnel
- Experience with risk based safety programs and delivery of HSE performance plans
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in performance analysis
- Strong ability to influence outside of direct line
- Ability to communicate with a positive personal impact