Content Development Manager, ELT Test Prep
We are the world’s learning company with more than 22,500 employees operating in 70 countries. We combine world-class educational content and assessment, powered by services and technology, to enable more effective teaching and personalized learning at scale. We believe that wherever learning flourishes so do people. We’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
At Pearson, we believe in the power of difference. Harnessing the unique skills, perspectives, and backgrounds of every employee helps us foster innovation and create the most effective solutions for learners around the world. That’s why we’re committed to ensuring that diversity and inclusion are embedded into everything we do. We foster a work environment that’s inclusive and diverse — and where our people can be themselves — so we can reflect the customers and learners we serve.
Pearson is featured on The Forbes list of Best Employers and The Stonewall Top 100 Employers list, and we are recognised in the Best Employers for Diversity 2019 awards. Pearson is listed on both the London and New York Stock Exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO).
The Content Development Manager leads and manages the content creation for a product or service. Working in-house as part of a project team, the Content Development Manager:
- Creates and executes plans for the writing, editing, and production of content throughout its development
- Collaborates with other team members on the instructional design and development of prototypes and briefs and on researching and testing the efficacy of the product or service throughout its development
- Champions new workflows for the continuous improvement of content creation
- Support the Product Manager in the generation of ideas for concept development and prototype creation
- Support the Product Manager in the analysis of market testing, in planning the instructional design for the full product or service, including assessment components, based on the Global Scale of English
- Enhance instructional design plans and briefs with appropriate detail in advance of contracting writers and editor
- When necessary, brief external experts, consultants and/or Series Editors on the product or service
- With Product Manager, validate that prototype(s) have the product features that respond to stated customer needs
- Forecast content creation costs to feed into the budgeting process
- Forecast time necessary for writing and development tasks to feed into the scheduling process
- Develop or contract development of Proof of Concept content, prototypes, and iterations of these at request of the Product Manager
Product Development Stage:
- Review competitor analysis and other evaluation materials, and support the Product Manager and Senior Content Producer in creating instructional design, syllabus, course configuration, content map, budget, and schedule
- Lead in the development of comprehensive writing briefs
- Work with Senior Content Development Manager, Product Manager and Senior Content Producer to plan and execute short- and long-term resourcing and training needs
- Contract and brief writers and editors for assigned components using standard vendor agreements; supply them with comprehensive writing briefs, content templates, and templates for art and media briefs; update briefs and communicate updates to editorial vendors
- Provide continuous and consistent support to writers and editors throughout the writing and content development process; assist writers and editors in the use of content creation tools (standard and proprietary) and content management tools
- Review quality of all contracted work; provide feedback to editors and writers on any recurring issues related to content creation; when necessary under deadline, bring quality of content up to standard through development and revision
- Collaborate closely with in-house designers, art and text researchers, rights managers, and media managers before and during all phases of content production
- Respond to Product Manager queries about budgets and schedule during all phases of content creation
- Stay up to date with trends in second language acquisition pedagogy and assessment; stay up to date in ELT market needs and trends; stay up to date with English language learning market needs and trends
- Manage in-house Content Developers in all phases of content creation
- For direct reports, give regular performance feedback; conduct formal performance reviews as required
- Supervise freelancers and vendors through continuous monitoring of quality and deadlines; Give frequent and comprehensive feedback
Product Manager, Senior Content Producer, Content Developers, Editorial Vendors, Senior Content Development Manager
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
University/College degree in linguistics, foreign language, or related field, or qualification in teaching English as a second/foreign language (Cert or Diploma in TEFL or TESOL)
- Sound business and technical acumen, with the ability to navigate a complex and highly matrixed organization effectively, establishing effective communication lines to multiple stakeholders
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and deadlines, remaining pragmatic and results-focused.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Prior editorial experience in ELT Test Prep
- Experience in teaching, linguistics, or foreign language
- Experience in managing in-house staff, freelance writers and editors
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Other Locations GB-GB-Harlow
Work Locations: GB-London-80 Strand 80 Strand London WC2R 0RL
Organization: Global Product
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Sep 8, 2020
Job Unposting: Oct 8, 2020
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 2008479
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.