Learner at the heart
Pearson is a global education company that helps people around the world to make progress in their lives through learning. With a rich heritage that combines 150 years of experience in publishing with the latest learning technology and digital services, we help people learn whatever, wherever and however they choose. We are now transforming Pearson to accelerate our activity in digital learning, education services and emerging markets. This will enable us to make a lasting impact in helping to solve some of the most important challenges in global education.
Why we need you
We believe education is a vital force that can empower people, help them to reach their potential and contribute to more connected communities, all around the world. Our strength comes from our outstanding people; our strong relationships in the education world; our expertise in using technology to help people learn; our global footprint and local reach; and our position as a profitable, global company with a unifying sense of purpose.
About the jobReporting to the Content Production Manager, the Content Producer will be responsible for the production and delivery of new and existing learning content and assets for a number of online and blended course development projects from handover of storyboard content through to delivery. The Content Producer ensures that the quality and design as envisioned is maintained throughout the editorial and production processes.
This role will ensure the timely delivery of all products and associated components according to scope, schedule,quality and budget.
The ideal candidate will have a background in content development and/or digital production, with experience of creating online learning experiences. You will need excellent project management skills and the ability to collaborate within cross-functional teams to deliver learning experiences of outstanding quality.
The job description reflects the current priorities of the company. It may need to be configured differently over time if these priorities change.
- Vendor and supplier management:Responsible for vendor and supplier management for projects assigned. Follow Pearson guidelines for briefing and managing vendors. Flag areas of improvement in terms of content production workflow or relationships with vendors in order to increase efficiency or reduce costs.
- Freelancers and contractors: Responsible for managing pool of editorial freelancers and contractors specifically selected for Course Design content development/review tasks. Source and vet new freelancers or contractors as necessary. Ensure that all freelancers or contractors are appropriately briefed for projects assigned. Ensure quality and consistency across freelance provision.
- Asset development:Manage digital asset production as per the project scope (in SCORM or standalone tools).
- QA/Testing: Manage internal release stages and liaise with the US QA team and external vendors to ensure that QA/Testing is carried out at defined stages.
- Editorial/content and production standards and processes:In conjunction with the Content Production Manager, the post-holder will be responsible for following overall editorial processes, guidelines and standards within the content production team for assigned projects (to include copy-editing, typesetting (if required), proofreading and production and editorial QA). Responsible for ensuring that quality standards are maintained across projects.
- Rights & Permissions:Responsibility for ensuring that author rights/contracts (fee or royalty) and all third party content is cleared for re-use (including images and pictures). Follow agreed best practice for logging all information and preparing acknowledgements copy. Work closely with the Core and Growth Rights and Permissions team to ensure that any updates to policies are communicated to the wider team. Create and maintain rights guidance document for external and internal use.
- Audio and Video:Organise and manage audio recording and video shoots ensuring all rights are maintained to deliver assets of a high quality. Manage reviews, updates and edits to assets inline with client expectations
- Photo research:Manage photo research (if required). Manage the selection and acquisition of appropriate images using agreed Pearson suppliers and processes.
- Manage all projects assignedfrom a content production perspective, ensuring that all projects are delivered on time, to budget and to specification. Continuously assess and prioritise your list of projects in order to maintain high standards that result in the delivery of an accurate and professional final product. Attend regular project team meetings as required and report back on schedule, risks and issues.Regularly report on progress of all projects to Content Production Manager.
Resolve all project-specific issues as they arise, ensuring that key stakeholders are aware of any delays or effect on milestones which may affect delivery.Risk and issue management; identifying risks, categorising and identifying suitable mitigation options.
- Manage budget/costs against initial P&L: monitor content production budget for projects assigned and communicate regularly on budget performance against agreed P&L to stakeholders. Code all invoices associated with the project.
- Training and mentoring: Train and mentor new team members in best practice in content production.
- Documentation: create and share best practice/ detailed process documentation (with input from Content Production Manager).
- Organisationally AgileProvides context for change to empower others to understand their roles and adapt quickly. Captures and applies lessons learnt so that capabilities are quickly and continuously improved.
- Influence without AuthorityIn working with other parts of Pearson, is open to developing cross-functional processes to achieve shared outcomes. Applies different strategies to convince others to change their opinion or plan and wins support from others for ideas.
- Prioritises and makes Effective DecisionsUses internal and external sources of information to determine the costs and benefits of potential actions aligned to organisational goals, prioritising the most appropriate one. Presents clear, evidence-based rationale for decisions taken and solutions proposed.
- Builds RelationshipsCreates and maintains relationships, internally and externally, to increase simplicity, efficiency and shared success. Proactively supports all functions to create commercially practical and innovative content solutions.
- Outcomes OrientedContinuously assesses and tracks against delivery of outcomes – refining approach as required and sharing learning. Has an in-depth understanding of stakeholder (/ learner / customer / SME) requirements, and works in partnership with them to identify desired outcomes, in order to develop and produce engaging content.
- Continuously ImprovesChallenges the status quo where opportunities for improvement are identified. Develops ideas for improvements into actionable proposals, demonstrating why and how suggestions result in improvements. Executes and follows through improvement initiatives and continuously changes every aspect of our business for the better.
- Evidence InformedTranslates evidence into actionable insights that lead to improvements. Assesses and selects the most appropriate methods, tools and data sources to collect the required evidence that enables decision making. Selects appropriate content tools that support collaboration cross-functionally.
- Commercially AwareInterprets internal / external business challenges and creates commercially practical and innovative improvements to products and services in response. Develops a comprehensive understanding of the competitive landscape to inform operational decision making, create new business and (take advantage of opportunities to) reduce costs or generate growth.
- Digitally FocusedUses insights into digital trends and patterns to inform decision making and to develop profitable products and services. Focuses on providing a more sophisticated, agile, and effective learner experience through digital technology.
- Driven by Customer and Learner RequirementsMakes balanced operational and content decisions with profitability and customer/learner outcomes in mind. Takes personal accountability for ensuring that customer and learner insights are used to deliver market leading products and experiences at every touch point.
- Demonstrated decision making and problem solving- through the collection and analysis of available, relevant, and reliable information, knowing who to ask for opinions and input, and acting upon the analysis in a timely and effective manner
- Strong leadership skills, including developing and maintaining constructive and cooperative working relationships with others (both internally and externally). Must possess a consultative approach; easily develop rapport and trust with multiple individuals and personality types.
- Demonstrated knowledgeof rights and permissions and global editorial standards, particularly in relation to producing online content (to include accessibility and diversity). Promote understanding amongst team and customers.
- Excellent organisational, time management, prioritisation and planning skills. Expert in managing tight schedules. A demonstrated ability to work independently, managing own time, prioritising effectively and making decisions confidently, quickly and thoughtfully. Strong ability to work on multiple, complex projects within aggressive timeframes, to multi-task and continually prioritise changing project tasks
Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; must be a direct, articulate and thoughtful communicator
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
- Solid experience in an editorial and/or content production role within publishing online is essential
- Strong knowledge of the publishing and production processes
- Experience of delivering content in a variety of formats and integrating into LMS environments (e.g. Moodle, Blackboard, Canvas)
- Demonstrate the ability to manage and mitigate schedules in a fast paced environment managing multiple module deliveries with competing priorities.
- Previous experience of managing projects using onshore and offshore suppliers & vendors; negotiating, executing contracts, creating briefs and purchase orders
- An understanding of testing requirements(editorial, functional, technical, accessibility etc) across a variety of browsers and devices
- Knowledge of audio and video production processes
- An understanding of authoring tools and their capabilities (Captivate, Evolve, Adapt, Articulate)
- Familiaritywith relevant computer programs and course delivery platforms including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, flowchart mapping (e.g Lucidchart), screen capture software (e.g. Camtasia)
Education, qualification and training
- Graduate calibre
- Solid experience in an editorial/content development role within publishing is essential. Experience of online content development and production is desirable
- Strong knowledge of the publishing process
- Knowledge of copyright laws (rights & permissions process)
- Excellent copy editing and proofreading skills with attention to detail
Primary Location: GB-GB-Harlow
Work Locations: GB-Harlow-Kao Park Kao Park London Rd Harlow CM17 9NA
Job: Professional Development
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Dec 27, 2018
Job Unposting: Jan 23, 2019
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1815446
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.