Contracts Negotiation Specialist - Rights & Permissions - Educational Publishing
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
We have an exciting opportunity to join Pearson Education, Inc. as a Contracts Negotiation Specialist, Rights & Permissions . Rights & Permissions oversees the rights management function for all Pearson lines of business and geographies, globally.
The Contracts Negotiation Specialist exhibits the Pearson Values of Accountability, Bravery, Imagination and Decency as well as the Global R&P Charter of Behaviors. She or he works consistently to develop professionally and improve performance, embracing a culture of change with a can do attitude.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting and driving the Preferred Sourcing and Three Tier Rights strategies, by negotiating and managing streamlined access to third-party content, while reducing reducing the cost of content licensing.In support of enterprise product offerings and licensing strategies across the various Pearson educational businesses, negotiates and assists with drafting a variety of content licensing agreements with corporate legal department guidance and oversight as needed.
- Provide advice and support to the Rights & Permissions executive team and business unit colleagues on content licensed matters related to other Pearson third party agreements, including , but not limited to partnership, non-disclosure, termination, consulting services, author and other documents
- Assists business unit(s) in the execution of content licensing contracts from cradle to grave including, but not limited to planning, negotiation, approval, and post-execution matters.
- Implements and oversees/manages the content provider relationship including licensing business terms and operational matters (access to and use of licensed content) , and proposes improvements to the rights management process as needed.
- Engages with business unit colleagues to ensure they are effectively supported on content licensing matters.
- Provides recommendations to Rights & Permissions executives and business unit stakeholders to improve or benefit Pearson’s relationships with strategic content partners including ensuring contract terms align with business strategic objectives and Pearson’s global rights strategy.
- Coordinates and collaborates with Corporate Legal department on content licensing matters as needed.
- Works with R&P teams and suppliers to optimize operational efficiency in the execution of the content provider contracts
- Distributes and maintains storage of all contracts and associated documents as required.
- Coordinates and collaborates with Rights & Permissions Rights Management teams and Pearson colleagues to ensure accuracy in payment to third party content partners and royalty tracking and payment to authors.
- Manages preferred content provider contracts on behalf of Pearson, including but not limited to, renegotiating business terms to align with Pearson business unit requirements, overseeing implementation of operational matters related to fees, access, and invoicing and payment. Oversees compliance with the terms and conditions agreed upon by the parties.
- Assists and participates in special projects as assigned.
Basic qualifications for this position include:
- J.D. Degree, or paralegal degree. Equivalent contract negotiations, relationship management experience may be considered.
- 3 years work experience in drafting and negotiating contracts.
- Prior experience in the publishing industry (educational, most desired, but other industries acceptable).
- Knowledge and understanding of new business practices, content services, and pricing models used by media, aggregators and other content providers, including but not limited to service fees as a component of licensing and subscription or seat licensing models
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to prioritize own work, set, and meet shifting deadlines.
- Exceptional attention to detail is imperative
- Stellar negotiation skills with the ability to creatively problem solve on the fly and make sound decisions.
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively cross-functionally with all levels of management.
- Basic computer skills, including working knowledge of MS Office and G-Suite
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-NJ-Hoboken
Work Locations: US-NJ-Hoboken-221 River 221 River Street Hoboken 07030
Organization: Global Product
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jul 9, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1809834
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled