This role is essential to BPDG’s leadership team and its ability to deliver on its Performance Risk and Data objectives. The post holder will report to, and support the Director of Performance, Risk and Data (PRD) and other Deputy Directors within PRD and be a key member of the BPDG Senior Leadership Team. This will include regular briefings to ministers, senior Civil Servants and advice to XO.
The Deputy Director will lead the technical decision making, design and delivery of data and analytical services within BPDG, which includes the responsibility for developing the team to support higher-level technical delivery capabilities within the group.
As Deputy Director Borders Technology Design and Delivery, you’ll:
- Take the lead in (technical) design and building of services required within PRD to deliver the teams operational capabilities
- Lead as part of a multidisciplinary senior management team in PRD, focusing upon technical, architectural and data delivery activities.
- Build and lead the technical architecture functions across software, applications, data, and infrastructure for PRD, and develop these functions to support and facilitate the BPDG strategy.
- Provide technical authority within PRD. Providing technical advice and practical support to the wider team to ensure that data flows and reporting mechanisms support the ongoing reporting needs of the work.
- Set the strategy and roadmap for technology transformation to ensure services meet the needs of BPDG and wider OGD users both now and into the future.
- Work with wider BPDG to develop a compelling vision and strategy for technology services that exploit emerging technologies
- Use professional expertise to prioritise resources and ensure services comply with relevant legislation and statutory requirements to an appropriate level of risk
- Take responsibility for the delivery of change, using agile delivery methodologies and a proportionate approach to risk to deliver at pace
- Work at an enterprise level, defining and ensuring organisational and technical needs, capabilities, and processes are met
- Interface with partners internally and externally who provide some core functionality and services to PRD, and rely on the services we build
- Own operational management for all new technology solutions to ensure implementation and service requirements meet timelines and standards as expected
- Be accountable for building and running large-scale products and platforms to deliver information to users over a range of platforms and devices
- Be accountable for the security, availability, and resilience of the technical services that PRD builds
- Ensure technical and data standards and guidelines are clearly established and communicated, making sure these are fit for purpose, and aligned with existing and emerging cross-government principles and standards
- Be accountable for the wellbeing of the technical delivery teams within the PRD
- Work with the wider PRD team to ensure that all technology and products have an effective ownership and operational model for their ongoing support
- Provide representation in cross-government senior technology forums
- Responsible for designing and developing service-based platform architectures and/or data projects
- Lead the evaluation and due diligence of third-party computing services, including data privacy, information security, concentration risk and contract terms
- Responsible for building partnerships with both public and private sector partners to ensure the success of the technical decision making and delivery
- Ensure the performance and risk of existing suppliers and contracts is robustly managed
- Developing good working relationships with existing and future suppliers, setting the direction for the future commercial strategy for technology services
- Build relevant cross government and industry communities of practice in areas such as advanced risk analytics, data standards and technical interoperability.
All candidates will be expected to demonstrate the following experience and behaviours:
- You are excited by the ambition that BPDG helps people use services at the border, and government to understand its border flows, and how we’re making better use of data and technology to deliver this
- Have demonstrable experience of delivering at pace, and being proactive in identifying and solving broad problems
- Have wide experience of designing and developing service-based platform architectures and/or data projects, and experience of leading such teams successfully
- Have worked at an enterprise level, defining and ensuring organisational and technical needs, capabilities, and processes
- Have experience designing, building and running large-scale products and platforms to deliver information and transactions to users over a range of platforms and devices
- Can work effectively with internal and external partners in both public and private sectors to ensure the success of the technical and programme strategy
- Can work effectively in an agile environment and understand the crucial role of building iteratively to meet user needs
- Are passionate about the potential of technology, with a keen awareness of current technology trends, and the ability to see the application of new technologies to public services
- Have successfully led technical communities and high-performing teams to set personal development paths that deliver toward strategic aims.
- Understand how to consolidate disparate data sets across Government into a cohesive ontology that delivers on the objectives of the 2025 strategy and the best legislative vehicle to deliver requirements.
- Understand the border technology landscape and how they can be used to deliver the border insight/data analytics capability required by PRD and how to steer delivery (including the existing Border Flow Service project) to meet these requirements.
- In addition to a proven track record, you will show evidence of continued professional development with completion or enrolment on MPLA or PLP.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Making Effective Decisions
Delivering at Pace
Managing a Quality Service