Both Deputy Directors will be responsible for:
- Leading MOJ’s relationship with the Department for Exiting the European Union and ensuring that MOJ’s EU Exit priorities are fully taken account of in wider government planning.
- Leading and motivating teams that are working under pressure.
- Leading the briefing of MOJ Ministers on the Ministry’s EU Exit Programme.
Deputy Director, EU Exit Strategy will be responsible for:
- Leading the development and delivery of negotiating strategies in respect of civil and criminal justice issues. This will include agreeing strategies across Whitehall and deploying them in negotiations with the European Commission in Brussels.
- Leading MOJ’s input to a range of cross-cutting EU Exit issues including the future of international agreements, dispute resolution mechanisms and the future roles of the UK Courts and the Court of Justice of the European Union.
- Responsibility for managing key external relationships that are crucial to the success of MOJ’s EU Exit programme including with the Judiciary, legal services sector, officials in the European Commission and counterparts in EU Member States.
- Effectively managing the relationship with the Home Office to ensure that MOJ’s interests in criminal justice are appropriately reflected in negotiating strategies.
- Policy responsibility for Private International Law and International Family Law, including the negotiation of the revised Brussels IIa family law instrument.
Deputy Director, EU Exit Implementation will be responsible for:
- Overseeing the development and implementation of a programme of legislation to deliver justice-related changes resulting from EU Exit.
- Leading work to establish and manage downstream impacts of exiting the European Union on the key public services that MOJ delivers.
- Leading MOJ’s relationship with officials in the Devolved Administrations on justice-related EU Exit issues
- Managing MOJ’s on-going EU business including ministerial attendance at Justice and Home Affairs (JHA) Councils and attending senior officials’ meetings.
- Overseeing the Global Britain Programme Office which is responsible for planning, risk management and reporting in respect of EU Exit