- Ensuring excise and environmental tax (EET) is optimised to deliver HMRC’s strategic objectives and our policies bring about the desired outcome. Includes the maximisation of revenue, oversight of the migration of taxes and the Alcohol & Tobacco Warehousing Declaration (ATWD) system onto HMRC’s strategic accounting platform (ETMP), robustly defending policy where disputes arise, and delivering high quality advice and support to customers, senior leaders and Ministers.
- Continuous development and implementation of politically high profile EET strategies to counter evasion and non-compliance, and reduce the respective tax gaps. Building constructive, high challenge relationships with delivery partners, including agreement of stretching operational targets and holding partners to account
- Representing the UK’s interests following ratification of the WHO Protocol to Combat Illicit Trade in Tobacco, including supporting the secretariat develop an effective work programme, EU coordination, and chief UK representative at the meetings
- Lead teams’ contribution to fiscal events in close collaboration with DD Policy Design team, including annual rates changes, ensuring consistently high standards in the quality of our policy work
- Leading the development and implementation of policy to keep pace with industry and to address new threats, including the extension of landfill tax to illegal waste sites
As a senior leader, you will play a key role in leadership, facilitating change and enhancing the employee experience.
You will also be able to demonstrate:
Evidence of contributing towards corporate leadership and the ability to set direction and lead colleagues through periods of change
Strong leadership skills with experience of providing visible leadership to support long term strategies and a proven ability to develop an empowered, engaged, inclusive and high performing team and a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Communicating and influencing
Strong communicating and influencing skills and the ability to engage confidently in a wide range of situations, managing reputational risk
The ability to work strategically across a range of internal and external stakeholders to align work and drive change
Resilience under pressure and the ability to work effectively in a complex and fast-moving environment
- Specialist knowledge and experience
A strong track record of managing complex policy work effectively and to high quality standards