The DU is a new unit, and presents a step change in focus and capability. It will work as an integral part of No10, acting asthe guardian of the centre's delivery priorities and the associated tools and techniques for getting things done. As such, it will support capacity building in government departments, and take a clear leadership role in how we can collectively achieve successful delivery of the Government's ambitious agenda for the people ofthis country. Over time, the DU should grow to around 40 staff.
The DD will lead the Crime and Justice team and focus departments and delivery partners on the successful delivery of critical outcomes in that area. The DD will work with the Head of the DU to communicate their team’s mission and purpose across government, and build robust networks at themost senior levels in departments to both monitor and support delivery, as well as strengthening the focus on delivery at the centre of government.The DD will be a key member of the Senior Leadership Team of the Unit.
Candidates should note that we are also advertising two further DD roles, focused on delivering the Prime Minister’s and government’s mission in relation to health (Job reference 125491) and education, jobs and skills (Job reference 125489). We are looking for relevant expertise for each of the particular rolesinquestion. If you consider that you might have experience that would make you a strong candidate for more than one role, please apply for eachrole, tailoring your personal statement to the role, and state your preference in your statement of suitability.
In your application you will need to demonstrate how you meet the following essential competencies, skills and experience.
The Deputy Director will need to have:
• The personal presence, effectiveness and credibility to operate at a very senior level across Whitehall, with a proven track record of working closely with senior stakeholders, for example, chief executives, Ministers etc.
• The ability to work at pace in a complex multi-stakeholder environment, driving progress in the face of a range of competing views and priorities
• Highly developed policy and strategic analysis skills that can be deployed flexibly across a wide range of business
• Highly developed communication, networking and negotiation skills; the proven ability to lead and develop a large and high performing team
• Expertise relevant to the Crime and Justice mission (for example, experience in policing or justice, or strategic and operational experience of tackling crime in local areas)
• Experience working in a devolved setting (such as Local Authority, Mayoral Office or Devolved Administration) is desirable but not essential.
• Lead the ‘Crime and Justice’ mission within the DU, using the PM chaired meetings, priority reviews and other delivery interventions to drive and oversee progress.
• Work closely with the Director of the Levelling Up mission to oversee the contribution of Crime and Justice to the delivery of Levelling Up.
• Use strong leadership skills to empower, energise and engage staff in the mission team.
• Build strong relationships across the centre and departments behind a renewed vision for delivery of the mission across government and its delivery partners.
• Work with the rest of the Senior Leadership Team to embed and evolve the DU’s systems, processes and culture as it builds towards its full operating capability over the coming 6-12 months.
• Develop a comprehensive system for tracking and problem solving delivery of government commitments across the core elements of the PM’s mission on crime, which balances a strong understanding of delivery in all projects with a focus on the very highest priorities.
• Work with data experts both in departments and in No10 to develop a world-class system for collecting information on, and visualising progress in the crime mission delivery, linking the work of the Unit to wider systems and processes (in Cabinet Office and HM Treasury) for tracking progress on the Government’s priorities and departmental outcomes.
• With the Head of the Unit, use the PM’s backing, a wide and trusted network, and a set of intelligent support solutions to intervene effectively where delivery is slowing to get projects back on track.