As the Deputy Director for People Systems and Reward, you will lead the HR operations, reward, analytics and HR systems transformation functions for the Department of Health and Social Care. This role will be critical in maintaining and improving interoperability within HR, the Department and with our Arm’s Length Bodies (ALBs) and Executive Agencies.
The successful candidate will ensure that the customer (from employees, managers to the Senior Leadership Group) is at the heart of our approach when we are delivering high quality operational services and HR systems in challenging timeframes, to enable and help our clients achieve business as usual and transformational goals. Proactive continuous improvement to processes, using customer feedback and measurable progress against KPIs will be a key part to the efficiency and success of your team, and to create a positive impact on user experience.
You will work with a range of stakeholders across Corporate Services, the Senior Leadership Group, and Executive Committee to proactively lead the development of reward solutions across DHSC, both on immediate priorities and to feed into the longer-term People Strategy and employee offer. This will also include building reward capability across our ALBs and Executive Agencies, to ensure alignment in method and delivery. You will play a significant role in leading pay strategy and inputting into SR bids, translating outcomes into reward policies to support our employees. You will lead and shape a fit for purpose HR analytics functions, which will be key as the foundation of all of our people policy and justifying decision making.
You will work closely with our HR Director and operate as a key member of the HR senior leadership team, working to lead the HR function and align with key departmental strategies.
You will be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and capable of having a solutions-based approach with unexpected events and unique challenges.
• Leadership of the HR operations, reward, analytics and systems expert services for DHSC and as part of wider HR, supporting all teams they are responsible for to ‘reset’ from the COVID-19 experiences, learning the lessons from the pandemic response and ensuring that we are fit for purpose for the future.
• Ensuring that the customer/user experience is at the heart of what we do in delivering HR services to DHSC
• Ensuring that our HR systems are stable and serve the needs of our onboarding, offboarding, pay and policy processes, as well as future proofing our HR systems strategy to align with wider departmental and government shared services drivers.
• Leading all aspects of pay and reward including the design and implementation of the DHSC reward strategy.
• Accountable for the DHSC Remuneration Committee (Perm Sec Chaired), covering all ALB senior pay and appointments, further developing and improving pay governance.
• Providing strategic direction of the HR Analytics function, ensuring that expert advice is provided across the HR function to support effective decision-making for people solutions, as well as leading work to improve overall analytical capability across HR.
• As a key member of the HR senior leadership team, collective leadership and management of the HR function supporting cross-team working, development and wellbeing.
• Ensuring that strong, meaningful relationships are built with our ALB and Executive Agency counterparts.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate evidence against the following essential criteria:
• Experience of leading HR expert services and of successfully delivering customer/user centred strategies and process
• Proven experience in leading and embedding transformative change in the delivery of HR services
• A strong corporate leader with proven delivery experience and working as part of a senior management team and a proven ability to set direction, convey a future vision, motivate teams and develop, attract and retain diverse talent.
• Experience of working in a programmatic, systematic way, comfortable using data and insight to guide your work and outcomes
• Adept at complex problem solving, ensuring that issues are data and evidence-led and proactive solutions, and options are developed
• Excellent communication skills with the credibility and interpersonal skills to command the trust and confidence of senior officials and stakeholders, and ability to translate complex information into meaningful, easily understood narrative.
• Experience of successfully building relationships internally and externally to the HR function to enable delivery
• MCIPD qualified or prepared to work towards the qualification