Reporting to the HR Director.
This post has responsibility for the effective leadership and delivery of 3 teams within the HR Directorate:
- HR Business Partners: The HRBPs and Assistant HRBPs work directly with our 7 Directors General and their senior management teams. The team act as the interface between the business and HR, working with colleagues within the HR family to provide excellent advice, guidance and strategic support across the whole employee life cycle.
- SCS HR: The SCS HR team work with our most senior stakeholders, up to the Permanent Secretary. The team provides support on senior recruitment, talent, performance management, succession planning and casework to our senior civil servants. In addition, they are the main interface between BEIS and key stakeholders in the Centre (Cabinet Office, Civil Service Commission).
- Management & Learning Coaches: Following the introduction of a new approach to performance management in 2018/19, this new team (formed in July 2018) is working across BEIS, supporting managers at a team and individual level in building a coaching culture across the organisation.
Providing direct leadership to the 3 teams within the 22-strong portfolio.
- Setting the strategy and driving the delivery and performance across the team.
- Acting as a sounding board to the team and as an escalation route (up to Director General / Permanent Secretary) for any complex issues arising.
- Providing challenge, support and development opportunity to individuals within the team, ensuring high quality performance in their post and as a HR professional.
Acting as a leader across HR, BEIS and Civil Service HR (CSHR)
- Working with other colleagues on the HR Senior Management Team to provide strategic direction, decision and challenge within the HR function.
- Acting as a role model within the HR Directorate and BEIS.
- Working with SCS colleagues across BEIS (in particular within the Corporate Services group) to ensure there is consistent, high-quality delivery across the department.
- Working with colleagues from across CSHR to continue to strengthen the HR profession's delivery and profile.
- Responsibility for oversight of workforce planning delivery across BEIS
- A requirement for acting with complete discretion regarding particularly sensitive / complex cases on behalf of the department.
- Oversight of the BEIS maternity leave budget.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate success in the following areas:
- Experience of leading a large team and a wide-ranging portfolio of delivery specific to the role
- Extensive experience within the HR profession/strong HR generalist skills and knowledge
- The ability to quickly build strong working relationships with a range of people and grades
- The ability to deal with ambiguity and lead a team through a period of change
- CIPD qualified
- Experience of working in a number of departments/organisations
- Direct experience of a HRBP role, delivering across senior recruitment/casework and coaching
- Direct experience of working with Cabinet Office/CSHR and the Civil Service Commission