This role offers an excellent opportunity for a high-calibre communications specialist to work for a Cabinet Minister and two junior Ministers to deliver a strategic, proactive and creative high quality communications operation for the UK Government
The Head of Communications is the principal communications adviser to the Secretary of State for Wales and the main communications adviser to other UK Government departments on Welsh issues.
Reporting to the Director of the Office of the Secretary of State for Wales and leading a team of eight communications specialists based in Cardiff and London you will work on media relations, public affairs, digital communications, events, visits and internal communications to ensure that the Secretary of State and Ministers receive proactive, high quality communications support and that the Department continues to strengthen its capability in stakeholder engagement and events, as well as digital media and evaluation.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Leading the communications, with overall responsibility for all communication activities and stakeholder engagement for the Office of the Secretary of State for Wales.
- Developing and implementing a communications strategy for the Office, focused on outcomes
- Ensuring that all communications activity is targeted at appropriate audiences through appropriate channels and in line with Ministerial and cross-Government objectives
- Building and maintaining a network of contacts across all parts of Welsh public life, including media.
- Acting as Press Secretary to the Secretary of State for Wales, briefing journalists on high-profile and contentious media issues, proactively and reactively
- Assessing communications risks and advising on handling breaking news stories
- Ensuring the team delivers in a timely and accurate manner and provides an excellent monitoring and evaluation service
- Building and maintaining excellent relations with contacts across Whitehall and offering communications advice accordingly
- Perform a leadership role in cross-Government campaigns to strengthen the United Kingdom
- Work proactively to build and strengthen information sharing and communications with relevant government departments, to ensure that the impact of any announcements, policies, funding etc has been considered from a Welsh specific angle
- Ensure maximum use is made of the Government Communication Service learning and development provision to support communication strategy objectives and skills development of the team.