Can you make confident judgements on when and how to contest legal challenges to the planning decisions taken under the HS2 Phase 1 Act?
Can you make the case for HS2 as a low carbon transport solution and support our commitment to no net loss of biodiversity?
Can you work with local government stakeholders to build our Midlands stations to budget and schedule and in a way that maximising local development and regeneration?
If so we would like you to join and lead a small but high-powered policy and sponsorship team.
You will work closely with the Minister for HS2, line of route MPs and counsellors, as well as our delivery partners in HS2 Ltd to keep construction on track, to contest challenges to our work, and to make sure we are constructing our line of route and Birmingham stations as effectively and sensitively as possible.
• Lead policy on managing the impact of HS2 Ltd’s line of route construction on local communities.
• Manage the Department’s oversight of the legal framework for HS2 Ltd delivery, including compliance with undertakings and assurances, completion of Schedule 17 planning applications, and delivery of HS2 local funding.
• Manage the project’s response to legal challenges to our powers and planning decisions.
• Make the environmental case for HS2 including its carbon strategy, biodiversity protection strategy and delivery of HS2 Ltd’s environmental performance reporting obligations.
• Lead the sponsorship of HS2 Ltd’s delivery of Birmingham Curzon Street and Interchange stations to time and budget and in a way that maximising local regeneration and growth.
It is essential in your supporting statement that you provide evidence and proven examples against each of the selection criteria below as far as you can. These responses will be further developed and discussed with candidates invited for interview
• You have extensive policy development and implementation experience, ideally in a project and infrastructure delivery context.
• You are familiar with administrative law and judicial review procedures and have experience of contesting cases and working with legal advisers.
• You can see the bigger picture and make complex trade-off judgements to protect project delivery whilst acting to preserve individual and community interests proportionately and sensitively.
• Your written and oral communications skills and stakeholder management abilities are well-developed, enabling you to convey complex or technical points with confidence and authority to ministers, stakeholders, MPs and counsellors.
• You are familiar with project delivery and can lead the sponsorship of the Birmingham stations construction working with experts in your team and with HS2 Ltd to deliver them to schedule and budget.
• You are familiar with carbon budgeting and biodiversity protection policies and regulations.
Should you encounter any issues with your online application please get in touch with us on: Dftfirstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not receive acknowledgment of your application within 48 hours, please contact Trish Marshall on Trish.email@example.com