The Head of Policy and Governance in the Smart Metering Implementation Programme will be part of the leadership team for one of the most significant change programmes in the energy industry over the last for 40 years. Leading a high performing team the job-holder will be responsible for:
- Providing policy advice to ministers, the Permanent Secretary, the Senior Responsible Owner and Programme Director
- The Programme’s policy framework including how best to serve consumers and protect privacy as well as aligning with the Department’s wider energy and consumer policies
- Chairing the Programme’s Design Authority which ensures all technical, regulatory, consumer engagement and programmatic decisions are taken in line with our policy aims
- Maintaining and evolving our regulatory strategy and relationships with Ofgem so that the obligations we place on energy suppliers and the DCC meet our policy aims
- Managing media enquiries and ministerial correspondence, Parliamentary Questions and briefing
- Delivering effective governance of the programme both internally to coordinate and integrate between workstreams, and externally to coordinate and drive delivery by energy suppliers and the DCC
- Coordinating our progress reporting to BEIS, HM Treasury, Cabinet Office, No10 and the IPA.
- Reporting to the Programme Director, you will lead a team of 20 Civil Servants and manage a budget of around £1.2M.
We expect all our senior leaders to be:
- Brilliant – inspiring, high performing, with a clear sense of purpose
- Enterprising – creative, open to ideas, well connected
- Inclusive – encouraging everyone to bring their whole self to work
- Skilled – expert and committed to development and impact
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate success in the following areas:
- Excellent senior leadership with experience of successfully leading diverse multidisciplinary teams;
- A strategic and lateral policy thinker who is politically aware and attuned to the challenges of delivering large scale programmes within complex organisations;
- Experience of building highly effective and collaborative working relationships with a range ofstakeholders, with an ability to influence and confidently challenge when necessary;
- Familiarity with programme and project delivery techniques or a willingness to develop these skills.