Finance, Strategy and Performance fulfils a vital role at the heart of HMRC. We are responsible for ensuring that HMRC plans and manages its performance and risks, makes good decisions and is held to account on accurate financial and performance data. We play a crucial role in managing the relationship with HM Treasury and other Government Departments, and work closely together to develop an HMRC wide view of performance, risk and finance. We work across the Department to help shape and influence the strategic direction, engaging regularly with Ministers, HMRC’s Executive Committee and the Cabinet Office.
This role is leading the HMRC Performance & Risk team. The team is the centre of excellence and process owner for performance measurement and risk management in HMRC, driving capability building in these areas across the Department. It is responsible for developing and producing HMRC’s performance and risk reports for the Board, ExCom and HMT, tracking the Department’s activities against its strategic objectives and associated Key Performance Indicators. These reports allow ExCom to manage performance in relation to the Business Plan and agreed targets. The team are also at the centre of reporting the Department’s performance to external bodies and the wider public, including HMRC’s Annual Report, quarterly reports to Cabinet Office and external publications of performance data and narratives.
Candidates selected for interview will be those who best demonstrate the following during the selection process:
• Excellent leadership skills which model and promote a positive and engaged working culture.
• A track record of building capability, developing people and to shape the team to the task.
• The ability to build and maintain successful relationships, winning and retaining the trust of both peers and senior stakeholders.
• Excellent analytical and performance management skills, able to successfully link organisational and financial performance and effectively communicate those links to senior managers and stakeholders.
• Experience of successfully operating and making high level strategic and operational performance recommendations and decisions in a complex organisational environment.
• A track record of driving performance improvement through strong and effective operational, financial and governance tools and leadership