In the role of Deputy Director for Professional & Business Service, you will be the Whitehall sector lead for this major sector of the UK economy. Professional & business services is the largest sector in the UK (based on turnover and Gross Value Added). It includes a wide range of areas including accountancy, management consultancy, legal and marketing services. 4.7m people work in the sector, across more than 600 businesses. The UK is the second largest exporter of services in the world.
In the role of Deputy Director for the Post Office and the Sector Briefing Hub, you will provide policy leadership for the Post Office and continue developing the cross-sector Briefing Hub, which is a centre of excellence for briefing and correspondence for BEIS Ministers. Current priorities for the Post Office include working with Post Office Limited on their Spending Review bid, engaging with the forthcoming Horizon Independent Review and working with the company on their long-term strategy. You will work closely in this role with UK Government Investments, who represent BEIS on the Board of Post Office Limited.
Both post holders will be expected to play a key role in leading the Directorate, building on the positive environment within the existing team, which is proud of its diversity and excellent People Survey results.
• You will work closely with Ministers and CEOs across these sectors to support UK investment, lead the development of policy to support economic recovery and the sectors’ long-term success, and provide a strong business voice into work on trade negotiations. You should be in an ideal position to use business insights to help shape policy development.
• We are looking for candidates who have the ability to influence and negotiate at the most senior levels, lead a strong, high performing and resilient team, and establish an effective network of professional relationships across Whitehall and amongst senior industry executives to take forward this exciting agenda. These posts offer you an excellent opportunity to demonstrate your skills in crafting new and long-term strategies and expanding your network and ability to influence key external stakeholders. You will join a lively and positive Directorate at a perfect time to help shape our future direction.
• You will be a strong leader with proven experience of motivating and developing teams to respond to an increasingly demanding Ministerial and Parliamentary agenda. You will also be adept at building productive relationships with external stakeholders and colleagues across Whitehall, and accustomed to operating at the highest levels (e.g. with industry leaders, Ministers and No.10). You will lead a team with the potential to expand.
Skills, experience and qualifications (Essential)
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate:
• The ability to think strategically and creatively - to develop innovative strategies for your policy areas that get wider buy-in and to identify solutions to complex issues;
• Excellent leadership skills capable of motivating and inspiring your team through periods of ambiguity;
• Excellent policy development skills with a strong analytical capability;
• Outstanding communication and influencing skills able to build effective relationships at senior levels;
• A self-starter with strong personal impact, able to work across organisational boundaries with a wide range of stakeholders in a complex political environment.
Skills, experience and qualifications (Desirable)
• (For the Professional Business Services role) Experience of international engagement and trade.
• Evidence of showing calmness under pressure, providing expert advice to Ministers or senior stakeholders whilst looking after your own and your team's wellbeing.