The post-holder will lead on all aspects of delivery for projects and programmes assigned to them to agreed time, cost and quality as well as supporting the development of a “one team” culture within the programme and project delivery directorate and where the team’s objectives connect with other directorates in CSG and CDIO.
Accountable to the Transformation Director and responsible for the successful delivery of its objectives; ensuring that projects and milestones are delivered to time, quality and budget and projects are appropriately resourced.
- Ensure stakeholders’ interests are identified and addressed at all stages, working closely with the Programme Director to manage and brief senior stakeholders.
- Provide direction and guidance on development to the team and more broadly across the department in a time of transformation.
- Act as a role model and deliver a people culture that focuses on respect, wellbeing and personal development. Foster behaviours which create a culture of empowerment that motivates and develops all of our people to give of their best and take pride working for HMRC.
- Be an effective enterprise as well as team leader, embodying collaboration.
- Operate effectively in a fast faced political environment while supporting own and team resilience and wellbeing.
- Ensure project teams are effectively resourced with the required skills and knowledge, engendering an engaged, empowered and high performing culture.
- Build capability and encourage and enable the development of team members. Agree the assignment of tasks to team members as projects and programmes stop and others commence.
- Accountable for ensuring all significant risks and issues are identified, prioritised, assessed and mitigated.
- Provide leadership in monitoring benefit delivery to maximise benefits from the programmes.
- Be responsible for project controls and governance and accountable for project and programme performance - monitoring and controlling progress, engaging fully with assurance.
- Monitor delivery against the programme plan in line with agreed business case scope.
- Engage with and develop effective relationships with suppliers and internal enabling functions, ensuring a healthy and successful commissioning relationship.
- Be an effective member of governance boards and other meetings that feed into the Programme Board.
As a senior leader, you will play a key role in leadership, facilitating change and enhancing the employee experience.
You will also be able to demonstrate:
Experience of providing visible leadership to support long term strategies with a proven ability to develop a motivated, engaged and high performing workforce and a commitment to diversity and inclusion
Strong customer service ethos and focus on delivery with the ability to respond quickly to changing circumstances and tight timescales as priorities evolve and escalate
- Communicating and influencing
The ability to manage effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders at senior level, strong collaboration and influencing skills to build an effective network of key stakeholders quickly. Excellent communication skills to engage confidently in a wide range of situations.
Experience of formulating, leading and implementing strategies, policies and Programmes which cross service or professional boundaries
Specialist knowledge and experience:
Professional PPM or Change Management qualification or evidence of senior programme leadership and training is required. This could include for example:
- Qualifications such as: Managing Successful Programmes Practitioner, PLP, MPLA, APMP, APM PQ, APM Registered Project Professional, Principles of Change Management (Foundation/Practitioner).
- Graduate, or cohort member, of the Major Projects Leadership Academy (MPLA) or PLP
- While not essential, it would also be desirable for individuals to:
- Have experience of large scale customer service operations and challenges
- Have experience of leading a Government Major Projects Portfolio (GMPP)/high risk programme.
- Be a graduate, or cohort member, of the Major Projects Leadership Academy (MPLA) or PLP