The Deputy Director will be responsible for:
- Leading the teams responsible for health, education, housing and welfare and oversee the associated Social Reform Cabinet Committee, the Cabinet Secretary’s Social Reform Officials meetings, and relevant Implementation Taskforces.
- Ensuring collective agreement for all business led by DH, DfE, MHCLG and DWP.
- Providing policy and other advice to the Prime Minister and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster on these areas.
- Providing leadership on policy issues as requested by the Cabinet Secretary and senior leaders in EDS.
- Building strong relationships with seniors in departments and work closely with departments in a collaborative way, but challenging where necessary.
- Leading and managing the 7 strong public services team and the 6 person strong directorate support team, and playing a full part in the corporate leadership of EDS.
Applicants will need to demonstrate how they meet the following skills and experience requirements for this role:
- The ability to work at pace in a complex multi-stakeholder environment;
- Highly developed policy and strategic analysis skills;
- A proven track record in winning and retaining the trust of senior Ministers and officials;
- Excellent drafting skills;
- Highly developed communication, networking and negotiation skills;
- Strong leadership skills as outlined in the CS Leadership Statement, both of high performing teams and corporately;
- Strong experience of working collaboratively and achieving shared objectives. Familiarity with job share arrangements an advantage, and commitment to making it work well essential; and,
- Some experience of one of more or the policy agendas of the public services departments (DWP, DfE, DHSC, MHCLG) would be desirable.