Design Program Manager
At Pearson, we have a once in a generation opportunity to transform teaching & learning to prepare people for a changing economy. The educational ecosystem is changing at a ferocious pace. Our company is changing rapidly. We no longer have the luxury of waiting to see how the market will change; we need to operate differently. Learners today are preparing to enter a world of work in which the skills required for employment are rapidly changing.
Pearson is seeking a Design Program Manager (DPM) to join our growing global UX team. We are charged with designing next generation digital learning experiences for students and teachers. In this role by supporting the operational aspects of the Experience Design team, the DPM enables designers to focus their time on designing product. DPMs improve team communication, collaboration, and remove roadblocks.
- Collaborating with UX Directors & VP todefine a structure of leadershipwithin the UX/design team(s).
- Embedded in the daily operations of Pearson product platforms, including but not limited to; Product/Design interaction and structure, programs/workstreams briefings, and familiarity with individual roles and people within the organization to drive education of the purpose and need for UX outside the department (to encourage understanding of design/creativity, communication and collaboration)
- Understand the demands on the workstreams by Pearson stakeholders in a concerted effort toidentify and catalog needs, drive efficiencies, transparency and teamingacross multiple geographies and broader teams.
- Realize operational objectives bycontributing information and recommendations to plansand reviews;preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; resolving problems; completing audits; identifying trends; determining system improvements; implementing change.
- Create and execute on program planto streamline delivery of services, anddevelop an evaluation method to assess program strengths and identify areas for improvement.
- Inform designers of processes requirements, workstreams, and principles from non-design or cross functional teams to increase collaboration and improve estimates and planning.
- Analyze program risks, determine suitable mitigation strategies, and support resolution efforts within the Experience Design team.
- Produce accurate and timely reporting of program statusperiodically (weekly and/or bi-weekly).
- Work with Product (and other stakeholders) todefine roadmap and delivery needs of the UX/Design teamsand coordinate planning to address dependencies.
- Support the Experience Design team inproduct roadmap planning, resourcing, scheduling, prioritizingand alignment to product teams.
- Represent the design team on monthly program reviews, and roadmap meetings to ensure communication of project status.
- Understand Stakeholder communication cadence and format/tools used and define, communicate and maintain a stable definition of ‘customer ready’ for these stakeholders.
- Identify shared responsibilities, opportunities for collaboration and consolidation and where to find efficiencies in time/resources amongst UX workstreams.
- Drive governance, prioritization and Workstream engagement to understand dependencies and overlap within project delivery.
- Formulate, organize and monitor inter-connected projects and drive coordination of cross-project activities within the Experience Design team.
- Implement and manage changes and interventions to achieve project goals.
- Collaborate with Experience Design managers, researchers, prototypers, PMs, PMOs, PMMs, Solutions Managers and engineering teams to plan projects, gather resources and insights, communicate risks related to design, size epics, features, etc and participate in relevant core team meetings.
- 6 years experience organizing design teams and their projects in a technology-centered company
- Senior experience with Lean and Agile methodologies for managing design projects
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, organizational, communication, and time management skills
- Multi-tasking across multiple projects
- Experience with complex, multi-faceted and enterprise-sized projects
- Demonstrated ability to work in a large, complex, and distributed organization
- A portfolio of project management examples that demonstrates organizational skills, problem-solving, and the ability to manage complicated relationships and compromise
- 3 experience with JIRA
Additional Valuable Qualifications
- Experience in the educational field
- Design degree or equivalent experience
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-CO-Centennial
Work Locations: US-CO-Centennial-2154 East Commons 2154 East Commons Avenue Centennial 80122
Organization: Global Product
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jul 9, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1807891
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled