Department: BTEC & Apprenticeships
Contract Type: 12 Month FTC
Reports into: Senior Development Manager
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
About the job
The overall purpose of the Development Manager is to lead the design and development of qualifications and sample assessments that meet the needs of learners, customers/clients and stakeholders, and are compliant with the requirements of governments and regulators. This involves collecting a strong evidence base and being strategic and creative in finding design solutions that are attractive to learners and customers and are fit for purpose and support progression.
1. Insight and market shaping
- Generate a strong evidence base for the design and development of qualifications and assessments (via learner, customer, and competitor research)
- Collaborate with colleagues to establish a good understanding of customer and learner needs and behaviours (for work on developments, amendments and support materials)
- Develop and maintain insight into best practice (teaching and learning, assessment and the link between them)
- Represent Pearson in meetings with stakeholders as part of the development process, e.g. employers, sector stakeholders, governments, regulators
2. Product strategy and financial management
- Develop strategies for designing and developing qualifications and assessments that are both attractive to learners and customers and compliant with the requirements of governments and regulators.
3. Product design and development
- Design and develop winning qualifications and assessments that meet learner, customer and stakeholder needs, and are compliant with regulatory, government and client requirements and Pearson quality policies and procedures
- Translate suite- or portfolio-level principles into winning proposals and qualification and assessment designs and client solutions
- Lead the qualification development and/or tender process (design, development, internal approval, accreditation and government approval) to time, budget and quality
- Provide regular management information detailing risks and issues with appropriate mitigations that ensure delivery to time, budget and quality
- Recruit, brief, train and performance manage writers in a strategic way to deliver winning qualifications and assessments to time, budget and quality
- Manage the updating and maintenance of specifications and sample assessment materials through the lifecycle for the portfolio of qualifications allocated
4. Implementation, customer experience and campaigns
Collaborate with colleagues to:
- ensure effective set up and implementation of new qualifications
- maintain the accuracy and validity of qualifications and sample assessments through their lifecycle
- ensure a positive customer and learner experience in delivery through the lifecycle
- ensure the clarity, consistency and technical accuracy of product support through the lifecycle for the portfolio of qualifications allocated
- identify opportunities to improve our product support and the customer and learner experience
5. Leadership and management
- Work effectively in virtual teams across Pearson to ensure a positive working culture in support of Pearson strategy, e.g. development, bid and virtual sector teams
- Champion a ‘learner and customer first’ culture across Pearson, ensuring there is good understanding of what is important to learners and customers and that all decisions are made with reference to their needs
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent
- Experience and understanding of the UK and/or international education and qualifications market and environment
- Experience of working on the design, development and/or operation of qualifications
- Experience of balancing a commercial focus with regulatory/legal requirements and assessment validity to create solutions for customers that are practical and have competitive advantage
- Experience and knowledge of assessment techniques and principles
- Experience of leading and/or working effectively in virtual teams
- Project management experience
Great things about working at Pearson:
We know you’ll work hard so we give a lot back with some of the best benefits in the business. There are a range of options and benefits, too many to list here, but when you join you can expect:
- a starting holiday of 25 days increasing to 30, with options to flex up or down
- an annual incentive plan based on company and individual performance
- generous pension scheme - contributions are double matched by Pearson
- stock purchase options
- health plans, and an employee assistance programme for you and your family, to help balance work, family and personal life including flexible working, dental plans, cycle to work scheme and season ticket loans.
How to apply: Please upload a covering letter with your CV. This should detail your motivation in applying for the role, the extent to which your skills/experience meet the requirements of the role and information on your current salary and availability.
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-80 Strand 80 Strand London WC2R 0RL
Job: Product Management
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Apr 12, 2019
Job Unposting: Apr 30, 2019
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1904933
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.