Director International Government Relations
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Global Corporate Affairs & Marketing (GCAM) communicates Pearson's unique position as the world's learning company, while building strong and enduring relationships with our key stakeholders around the globe. We focus on helping to strengthen our reputation with policy makers, influencers, the general public, and our employees. We ensure that our brand, communication, digital, and marketing efforts are being driven with global consistency. Collectively, our work is anchored in building a strong global Pearson brand with social purpose at its heart.
We are looking for an experienced communications and government relations professional to take on the role as Director International Government Relationson all aspects of strategic internal and external outreach and communications, helping to build understanding and excitement around these businesses’ ambitious strategy throughout Pearson. You will also partner closely with others, including key stakeholders and experts across GCAM, to deliver communications in support of business results.
Reporting to theVP, Global Government Relations & Policy, you will work as part of team of government relations and communications professionals to help shape Pearson’s profile overall, and specifically across the international markets, and build the team’s global community and culture.
Collaboration, partnership and active stakeholder management is foundational to success in this role. Thriving in an evolving environment, working to drive innovation, and continuous improvement for efficiency and sustainable growth is key.
- Lead the development and implementation of an integrated international government relations strategy and plan that focuses on building out our relationships with targeted political and institutional stakeholders in our international markets
- Hold relationships with key international government stakeholders including target institutions and associations.
- Lead and manage all aspects of the international government relations agenda, setting the strategic direction for the work and ensuring Pearson is positioned with the targeted stakeholders to seize political opportunities and mitigate risk
- Leverage political relationships, source political intelligence and drive our response to political risk
- Partner with business leaders, providing strategic consultation on all matters of internal and external communications and outreach on international government relations
- Lead our global Risk work, ensuring an integrated quarterly, auditable update on our political risk profile; using this as a basis to mitigate political and regulatory risk
- Lead the government relations work in our targeted international markets by providing direction, counsel and support for GCAM and the business
- Working with the Sustainability team and other CA stakeholders, drive our political messaging, providing political stakeholders bb with the collateral required, including Pearson materials, papers and research
- Establish key metrics and analyze insights to inform on international communications and government relations strategies and tactics
- Track, monitor, advocate and report on relevant legislation and regulatory proceedings
- and assist in the drafting and delivery of oral and written testimony and ensure
- compliance with lobbying and reporting rules and regulations
- Extensive experience in a similar leadership role in education policy or in government relations
- Degree (or equivalent) preferred
- Experience in a government/policy role is strongly preferred, with the candidate having a proven track record of:
- Developing and Leveraging Relationships- You will bring with you a network of relationships across HMG, including across DIT, FCO, DfID, and a track record of excellent internal stakeholder management at all levels, seen as a trusted advisor to the company leadership.
- Communication- You have developed interpersonal skills and use these to influence outcomes with persuasiveness and candour. You appreciate the diversity of stakeholder interactions and adapt your style and approach accordingly. You have a demonstrable track record as a successful lobbyist.
- Analytical Skill and Learning Agility– You take a systematic, structured view of situations,while staying focused on the big picture. You have the capacity to be open to new ideas and comfortable exploring areas where there are no right answers.
- Global Perspective– You have significant experience operating in a globalenvironment- including working across Pearson’s key international markets- and are able to demonstrate international cultural agility.
- Business Acumen –Experience, insight and knowledge mean you are able to understand market potential, understand political risk and opportunity and translate this into strategic GR work that supports the corporate strategy.
- Deliver Results– You have a track record of achievement, translating complex strategies into actionable plans with examples of successful lobbies.
- Judgment– You demonstrate sound judgement in assessing business risks and make decisions that balance a variety of factors and considerations whilst always maintaining the integrity of the core values and business strategy.
- Change Management Capability-Demonstrate record of driving change and influencing an organization.
- Brave– Resilient operating under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Accountable– Demonstrates integrity & delivers what is promised
- Decent– represents Pearson’s values and believes in the company mission, is a trusted confidant to colleagues and external sources
- Imaginative– thinks creatively, using insights, to improve work and tell Pearson story
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-80 Strand 80 Strand London WC2R 0RL
Organization: Global Corporate Affairs & Marketing
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Apr 16, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1803028
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.