This is a high profile, challenging and rewarding leadership role at UKHO with the potential to make a significant impact on UKHO’s future direction. You will be the senior Finance professional within UKHO, and as a member of the Executive Committee and UKHO Board you will deliver inspirational leadership across the organisation, with a particular emphasis on bringing first-class strategic financial insight, expertise, and experience to an organisation that is dependent on revenue generation for its future success. You will set standards, drive consistency and build financial management capability to put Finance at the heart of decision making within UKHO.
This requires outstanding financial, professional and leadership skills, allied to excellent business acumen and understanding, and adept understanding of a wide range of commercial, policy and operational contexts of UKHO.
The post-holder will oversee the development of Finance and Corporate Services into a true business enabler capable of fully supporting the UKHO’s growth by identifying value-creation opportunities, operating efficiently and effectively, managing business performance, providing the right information to the key stakeholders at the right time and being closely involved in strategic discussions.
This is an outstanding opportunity to lead our Finance and Corporate Services directorate of approximately 50 FTE, covering finance, procurement, internal controls and assurance, facilities management and security. The post-holder will be instrumental in balancing competing demands and priorities across a range of professional functions and disciplines and leading the transformation of their teams to drive consistency, collaboration and performance across the department.
• As a member of the UKHO Exco and Board, provide financial strategic insight and work closely with the CEO and other senior stakeholders to ensure the organisation hits its strategic milestones
• You will influence, provide direction, build relations and use your expertise to ensure that financial advice and insight is provided at the earliest stage of strategic decisions and project business case development to enhance corporate decision making and increase revenue generation performance
• Oversee the UKHO’s financial and other governance, controls and assurance arrangements such as financial budgeting, reporting on financial outturns, controlling payments and managing the UKHO’s internal and external audit arrangements as well as providing input into the main Board and Audit, Risk and Assurance Board
• Ensuring high standards of financial planning, delivery and oversight across UKHO’s operations and provide strategic leadership of our internal key performance measures, including risk, to keep the Chief Executive and the Board advised of performance
• To lead the transformation of the UKHO’s management information (MI), in particular, the revenue streams and production planning whilst overseeing the UKHO’s overall operational planning process to ensure financial considerations are at the heart of decision making
• Stewardship and support to the Chief Executive in their role as UKHO’s Accounting Officer
• To be an effective and collaborative member of the UKHO Executive Committee and to play a full role in the overall direction and development of this historic and important organisation
• To build effective and efficient professional teams and to be responsible for developing the finance skills across the UKHO linking closely into the Head of Finance Profession in the MOD
• To build effective and long-lasting relationships with a range of customers and partners, in particular, the National Audit Office and Defence Internal Audit teams
• To oversee production of the UKHO’s annual report and accounts, including key statistics, finance and performance information for presentation to Parliament
• Leadership of UKHO’s commercial procurement strategy, evolving UKHO’s culture and practice to ensure appropriate levels of commercial capability and awareness across the organisation
• On behalf of the UKHO Chief Executive act as Trading Fund Security Risk Manager, with responsibility for ensuring that the UKHO manages security risks in line with MOD security policy and corporate governance, and for advising the UKHO Board on security risks that require its attention.