With a budget of £10.7bn, the Home Office leads on immigration and passports, drugs and crime policy, counter-extremism and counter-terrorism and works to ensure visible, responsive and accountable policing in the UK. These issues are at the heart of the Government’s agenda.
The Director of Strategic Capabilities and Planning is a key role at the Home Office, it is an exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of designing and implementing the changes required at the UK’s border needed for the next decade. With the challenges associated with the border from the UK’s exit from the EU as a backdrop, there is arguably no more important time to be involved in setting the future direction of Border Force, whilst ensuring its ongoing effectiveness and efficiency as a front-line law enforcement organisation that is at the centre of the country’s security and prosperity.
You will be a leader with excellent stakeholder skills and experienced in policy planning and strategy development. Working very closely with the Director General and your fellow Senior Directors your remit will be to foster a collaborative leadership culture. You will lead a directorate and an organisation facing an ambitious transformation agenda.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain Security Cleared (SC) level clearance before taking up post with the possibility of obtaining Developed Vetting (DV) in the future if needed.
• Strong conceptual and analytical skills, the ability to solve difficult and unusually wide-ranging problems by structuring abstract, complex and systemic problems into their constituent parts and solving them by bringing to bear high-quality analysis; making connections and using expertise from across a wide range of sources, professions and business areas.
• Exceptional skills and experience in policy, planning and strategy development to work with and influence a complex range of stakeholders across government and industry.
• Programme and project management skills, with a track record of delivery of capability planning or delivery of major change programmes within large and complex organisations, including behavioural and culture change.
• Strong leadership skills - both of high performing teams and corporately, with the ability to inspire and empower colleagues to deliver.
• Excellent stakeholder and communication skills, able to build high-trust relationships with very senior customers and stakeholders with the confidence and credibility to challenge where necessary and advocate effectively to, and on behalf of, Ministers.
•First class commercial acumen along with the ability to seek out opportunities for innovation, continuous improvement, efficiency and value for money.
• Whitehall senior policy experience.
• Experience of law enforcement or border security cultures.
• Knowledge and understanding of strategic and governance landscape.
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Selection process details
See details in the candidate pack.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Name : Simon Cubley
Email : Simon.email@example.com
Telephone : mobile number +44 7740928047
Recruitment team :
Email : SCSrecruitment@homeoffice.gov.uk