The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) is a Trading Fund and an Executive Agency of the Department for Transport (DfT). Our vision is for safer drivers, safer vehicles and safer journeys for all and we have responsibility for setting, testing and enforcing driver and vehicle standards in Great Britain.
We are looking for a talented and experienced individual to join the DVSA, who will work from Bristol with significant travel across the country. As the Director for Strategy & Policy you will have responsibility for shaping the strategic direction of the Agency and transforming the policy basis for all core customer-facing services, including:
- 2 million theory tests per annum
- 1.7 million practical driving tests for cars, motorcycles, large goods vehicles
- 34 million MoTs for cars per annum
- 750,000 vehicle testing for HGVs and PSVs
- Enforcement of all legislation for which DVSA is accountable
This role is also responsible for assisting DfT in planning for any additional services required of DVSA, including those which may result from the UK’s exit from the EU.
This role also has collective responsibility as a member of the Executive Committee for the overall strategic direction, performance and culture of DVSA.
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- Substantial experience of strategy and/or policy development in a commercial customer-facing business is essential.
- Substantial experience of overseeing policy implementation in a highly operational organisation of comparable scale and complexity;
- Proven experience of using evidence and forecasts to shape future service design in a highly operational organisation of comparable scale and complexity;
- Substantial experience of delivering against key financial targets and customer service standards in a commercial organisation or another trading fund;
We are looking for a candidate with the ability to:
- Be a strong leader with the proven ability to set a strong direction and convey a persuasive future vision at all levels of an organisation.
- Be highly articulate and credible at the most senior level across and outside the civil service, consistently delivering inspiring, engaging and meaningful messages about the future direction;
- Champion the strategic importance of people, talent management and development issues, building a strong culture of continuous learning and knowledge sharing between specialists and generalists;
- Take a strategic perspective to identify the capability needs of the Agency identifying and nurturing future leaders through well-defined succession planning;
- Embed a culture of value for money, working collaboratively across boundaries to ensure that the Agency maximises its strategic outcomes within the resourcing available;
- Build a performance culture that is orientated to tangible delivery outcomes and rewards those appropriately;
- Create a team that is viewed as an exemplar of high quality making the Agency an enviable environment to work in;
- Shape, promote and exemplify Agency and civil service values and culture.