Director Product Design, Literacy & Math
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe.
We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
The Director, Product Design , will own the vision and responsibility of providing best-in-class Product user experiences and its product branding for Pearson Learning Services K-12 Math and Literacy products and its ecosystem. S/he will provide the strategic Product user experience and design direction and vision for the next generation learning and education management experience efficaciously. S/he is responsible to deliver design solutions for Pearson customers to work seamlessly and easily across products and help deliver the brand promise. S/he collaborates effectively with a variety of business leaders, editorial leaders, technology leaders, product managers, creative product branding, and other key stakeholders to develop large growth businesses.
In this role one will lead the implementation of holistic creative frameworks to deliver an innovative user experience for Pearson Learning Services K-12 product family, and provides thought leadership and cultivates a cross-discipline product design team including Design Managers, Product Designers, Artists, Multimedia Designer/Producers, UX Researchers, Content Specialists and developers. Holistic Design/Human-Centered Design process and methodologies, a must.
Supervisory responsibilities includesoverall control of planning, staffing, budgeting, managing expense priorities, and recommending and implementing changes to methods. Directs and controls the activities of a broad functional area through several department managers within the company.
This opportunity is located at our Hoboken, NJ, Glenview, IL, or Boston, MA office site. Additional remote locations also will be considered.
Here is what you will get to do:
- Drive the Product UX/Design perspective in collaboration with directors and business and editorial leaders; respond to organizational changes as they occur
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to define math and literacy product experience for Pearson Learning Services K-12 including continual improvement and innovation
- Work as part of Product and Platform management teams to understand customer needs and the strategic goals of Pearson’s learning applications
- Keep well in touch with all areas of project management, to ensure that your team is on schedule and succeeding from a design standpoint. Assist product and project management in estimating and planning required Product UX and Design resources and plan
- Represent department’s work to similar groups in other operating companies, seeking out areas to collaborate and share best practices in striving to support the Pearson brand, and define a “Pearson Experience”
- Enthusiastically lead and participate in product reviews and lead feedback discussion while sharing the Product UX/Design benchmarking, design review and research as a thought leader and expert
- Define customer-centric Product UX and Design measurement criteria and test to ensure the Product User Experience delivers positive results
- Drive and document design standards and patterns across products
- Collaborate with team on process improvements and tool implementation to support those processes
- Drive knowledge management to ensure open & clear lines of communication of design process and ideas
- UCD expert and act as "go to" with in-depth knowledge of user interface best practices and standards
- Make sure that the process for Product UX/Design testing and design is an integral part of the product development process
- Develop, implement, and shepherd continuous customer relationships and Product UX and Design opportunities
- Lead detailed project planning, budgeting, and team capacity planning in collaboration with cross-functional groups
- Ensure approved projects and products remain within approved budgets for Product user experience design, through proper allocation of your staff (internal and external) and use of contract help when required
- Manage a group of talented Product Design professionals to deliver high quality, on-time design deliverables, accounting for on-the-fly program needs and changes as they occur
- Facilitate success of direct reports in meeting their (and their team's) goals by supporting them in turning their strengths into higher performance, and by helping them improve on their weaknesses
- Perform all administrative HR tasks, including goal setting and performance reviews for the Product Design staff
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) required; Master’s degree in relevant field a plus
- 10-15 years of Product Design Operation and Management in large scale/enterprise level experience in Print and Progressive UI/UX design experience in software, web and mobile environments
- 10 years of creative/design management experience is a must
- Experience managing team of multi-disciplinary professionals, creative strategic outsourcing, and delivering projects in a large scale, complex enterprise environment
- Experience with UX within Lean, Agile development process
- UCD expert and experience with Lean UX, Design Thinking
- Demonstrated ability to navigate complex problems in developing holistic solutions for product and its UX ecosystems and pedagogy
- Must be a vibrant and engaging communicator who can present concepts and ideas to all levels of the company
- Demonstrated ability to navigate complex problems in developing holistic solutions for product UX strategy and ecosystems
- Knowledge and experience with all various platforms human interface guidelines: iOS, Android, and connected platforms
- Ability to manage multiple projects and an ability to prioritize and organize to meet tasks and deadlines
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-NJ-Hoboken
Other Locations US-MA-Boston, US-RE-Remote, US-IL-Glenview
Work Locations: US-NJ-Hoboken-221 River 221 River Street Hoboken 07030
Job: Product Management
Organization: North America
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jun 28, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1809676
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled