Director UK Government Relations
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Global Corporate Affairs & Marketing (GCAM) communicates Pearson's unique position as the world's learning company, while building strong and enduring relationships with our key stakeholders around the globe. We focus on helping to strengthen our reputation with policy makers, influencers, the general public, and our employees. We ensure that our brand, communication, digital, and marketing efforts are being driven with global consistency. Collectively, our work is anchored in building a strong global Pearson brand with social purpose at its heart.
We are looking for an experienced communications and government relations professional to take on the role as Director UK Government Relations on all aspects of strategic internal and external outreach and communications, helping to build understanding and excitement around these businesses’ ambitious strategy throughout Pearson. You will also partner closely with others, including key stakeholders in the UK and experts across GCAM, to deliver communications in support of business results.
Reporting to the VP, Corporate Affairs, UK & Core Markets, & Thought Leadership, you will be part of team of government relations and communications professionals to help shape Pearson’s profile overall, and specifically across the UK markets, and build the team’s global community and culture.
Collaboration, partnership and active stakeholder management is foundational to success in this role. Thriving in an evolving environment, working to drive innovation, and continuous improvement for efficiency and sustainable growth is key.
- Strategy Development & Implementation: Drive the government relations strategy – and corresponding implementation - for Pearson’s UK Business, which includes three core divisions - Schools (including the Qualifications business); BTEC & Apprenticeships; and Higher Education. Strategy will include thought leadership/’campaign’ activities, developed in partnership with key partners, and deployed to build Pearson’s reputation among key opinion leaders.
- Government relations & public affairs support: Create and maintain a wide and strong network of influence amongst key officials, parliamentarians and ministers in the UK; and organisations close to Pearson’s business interests. Oversee Pearson’s profile and relationship with key policy-makers – particularly, but not exclusively, in the Department for Education, Downing Street and across Parliament. Responsible for Pearson’s other key stakeholders across the UK education sector, analysing and acting on key policy issues that affect Pearson, our consumers and key business activities
- Support senior leaders: As required, provide tactical support and strategic counsel on all government relations issues to senior leaders, primarily the UK Leadership team but also to the CEO and across Pearson’s ‘Core markets’, as developed with the VP, Corporate Affairs, UK and Core.
- Build Internal Partnership: Partner with and foster relationships with colleagues across our matrixed organization to ensure that government relations activities, and communications are aligned in strategy and delivery
- Core Aspects:
- Strategic Decision Making: obtaining information and identifying key issues and relationships to achieve long-range business goals; accomplishing these goals developing alternatives based on insights and resources
- Aligning Performance for Success: leading a team to accomplish objectives; setting performance goals; support the business in achieving sales targets; empowering and equipping colleagues to drive progress towards common goals
- Accountability and Ownership: taking ownership for business objectives and driving achievement through effective leadership
- Innovation: generating innovative solutions; trying different ways to solve problems and create opportunities for business growth
- Collaboration and Partnering: identifying opportunities and build relationships across internal teams, departments and external organizations to help achieve business goals
- Results, People and Values: Will deliver results, work effectively with and through others and promote the values of Brave, Imaginative, Decent and Accountable. Puts the learner at the center of our purpose - helping people to make progress in their lives through learning.
- Government Relations / Policy Expertise:
- Extensive experience in a policy-focused communications or government relations role in the UK.
- Detailed knowledge of UK political and parliamentary practice, gained from a previous role in the political sphere or a relevant in-house position; a solid understanding of UK education policy.
- Proven experience in using data, thought leadership, technical experts and other tactics to bear on influencing policy.
- Experience interpreting data and insights, and using those to drive strategy and approach.
- A track record of building trust and sustaining excellent internal and external relationships
- Developing and Leveraging Relationships - You will bring with you a network of relationships, and a track record of excellent internal stakeholder management at all levels, seen as a trusted advisor to the company leadership.
- Communication - You have developed interpersonal skills and use these to influence outcomes with persuasiveness and candor. You appreciate the diversity of stakeholder interactions and adapt your style and approach accordingly.
- Analytical Skill and Learning Agility – You take a systematic, structured view of situations, while staying focused on the big picture. You have the capacity to be open to new ideas and comfortable exploring areas where there are no right answers.
- Global Perspective – You have significant experience operating in a global environment and can demonstrate international cultural agility.
- Business Acumen – Experience, insight and knowledge mean you can understand the long-term market potential and translate this into the corporate strategy.
- Deliver Results – You have a track record of achievement, translating complex strategies into actionable plans.
- Judgment – You demonstrate sound judgement in assessing business risks and make decisions that balance a variety of factors and considerations whilst always maintaining the integrity of the core values and business strategy.
- Change Management Capability - Demonstrate record of driving change and influencing an organization.
- Brave – Resilient operating under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Accountable – Demonstrates integrity & delivers what is promised
- Decent – represents Pearson’s values and believes in the company mission, is a trusted confidant to colleagues and external sources
- Imaginative – thinks creatively, using insights, to improve work and tell Pearson story
Closing date: Wednesday 18th April 2018
\# LI -RK1
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-80 Strand 80 Strand London WC2R 0RL
Organization: Global Corporate Affairs & Marketing
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Mar 26, 2018
Job Unposting: Apr 18, 2018
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1803020