DWS Security Engineer
Pearson is a global education company that helps people around the world to make progress in their lives through learning. With a rich heritage that combines 150 years of experience in publishing with the latest learning technology and digital services, we help people to learn whatever, wherever and however they choose. We are now transforming Pearson to accelerate our activity in digital learning, education services and emerging markets. This will enable us to make a lasting impact in helping to solve some of the most important challenges in global education.
We believe education is a vital force that can empower people, help them to reach their potential and contribute to more connected communities, all around the world. Our strength comes from our outstanding people; our strong relationships in the education world; our expertise in using technology to help people learn; our global footprint and local reach; and our position as a profitable, global company with a unifying sense of purpose.
We're investing in our technology and infrastructure. By working at Pearson, you have a unique chance to make a real difference to the lives of people all over the world.
The Pearson Digital Workplace Services [DWS] team is simplifying how Pearson employees work, engage and collaborate using a broad range of technology, initiatives and transformation activities introducing new, globally consistent platforms and services primarily based on Microsoft products: with Office 365 (replacing Google G-Suite) being a key delivery over the next 18 months.
Pearson DWS is helping to unite employees around the world, enabling us to operate as a truly global organisation, and ensure that Pearson is fit for the future.
We are searching for passionate delivery focused solution architects that can understand, articulate and drive value from our technology. You are already a seasoned veteran leading the Modern Workplace security ecosystem across different sized enterprises and sectors, a subject matter expert with a broad lens on Workplace technology: a true ‘T’ shaped individual … are you ready to be a catalyst for change and innovate with Pearson?
- You will use your proven track record of cultivating professional relationships across key stakeholders and be working tirelessly with our global business units, technology, engineering and security teams to distill and deliver Pearson’s requirements and be responsible for strategies leading Pearson to adapt to changing and emerging technologies for and impacting our platforms.
- You will lead the service design and are critical to the service transition into our operations. You have a creative approach to devising new solutions and enhancements, are the key to managing the technical roadmap, driving technology adoption, meeting business and security demands.
- As a key member of our team, you bring your proven history of managing strong relationships with Microsoft have insight to future changes, roadmaps and direction, and will be Pearson’s advocate influencing our Modern Workplace and other peers and partners towards our business requirements.
- Above all this is an exciting time to work at Pearson: we are evolving the way we deliver the latest Microsoft workplace and security products in new and agile ways of operating meshing automation, CI/CD ‘compliance as code’ and agile practices that will be both challenging and rewarding as we rotate into a true Digital Workplace Service.
The Microsoft Security Architect provides end to end technology ownership for Microsoft modern workplace security services to support Pearson’s global businesses spanning Windows 10, Mac OS, physical / virtual desktop delivery, device and peripheral hardware, applications, physical space technology, cloud print services and compliance across different end points and use cases.
The role is responsible for the strategic architecture, design, automation, engineering, product lifecycle and development of all in scope Microsoft and related platform security services. Additional responsibilities include driving Workplace Experience vision, usability and interfaces across the DWS technology portfolio: how we use our tools, how we interact and collaborate with colleagues and customers and bringing to life the vision of our ecosystem.
To realize these goals and objectives the position must balance core Microsoft technology security skills, product vision and with a delivery focused pragmatism. The role also encompasses wider awareness of the Microsoft Modern Workplace tools and platforms working as cross region in a strong multi-disciplined architecture group embracing agile ways of working.
As a direct report to the Director of DWS Platforms within the Digital Workplace Services group, the candidate will be responsible for:
- Developing short and long-term strategic Microsoft security technology roadmaps, backed by pragmatic designs that support our enterprise technology roadmaps and key business objectives interlinked into wider CISO initiatives
- Participate and contribute to the running of a cross region Architecture function that will drive and govern the Digital Workplace Services and provide deep technology leadership and vision
- Building plans and policies for DWS desktop and cloud product portfolio and associated ancillary services, strategies and technologies
- Working with our colleagues to design and secure modern workplace solutions using our Microsoft products
- Establishing a consistent and progressive strategy and architecture for the desktop security experience exploiting new market opportunities as appropriate for both trusted and untrusted devices
- Strategically plan, develop and drive implementation of new initiatives to enhance the global business. This includes projects related to investments and improvements
- Embrace, sponsor and coach agile ways of working with a view to fully automating the configuration and management of our Microsoft services
- Ensuring that required metrics are understood and available. These metrics make certain the platform remains operational, optimized and available to business end users
- Align our delivery and technology to the Pearson controls and policy framework based on ISO27K
- Ensuring that key platform product life cycles are understood, tracked, and communicated with appropriate remediation when required
- Coordinating design team support for future M&A activities. This support includes initial impact assessments, planning through to design, and implementation of the technical integration aspects of the merger as they relate to workplace platforms and services.
Deliverables and outcomes (Within 12 months)
- Support the delivery of the myWorkplace and SUP Programme and ensure timely transition of project-to-service and partner with the programme to achieve strategic objectives.
- Deliver DWS Security strategic blueprint, working with the Director of DWS Platforms.
- Develop SecOPS use cases and provide technology and operational solutions
- Deliver the vision for Secure Virtual Desktops with a technology blueprint and associated solution design leveraging Desktop as a Service where possible
- Deliver subsequent product High Level Designs and governance processes to support the blueprint ready for engineering delivery
- Accountability for the usage patterns and technology solutions aligned to the strategic objectives identified
- Accountable for maintaining the DWS Controls technology and risk portfolio with our CISO, SECOPS and audit peers
- Support the emerging engineering and operations functions for Microsoft Security for both physical and virtual desktops
- Workplace experience will be a priority with constant focus and awareness of user experience and requirements.
- Continual service improvement to minimize the number of self-imposed outages – drive high quality change and release management through automation practices.
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Experience and culture:
- Architect ‘SME’ level experience in Azure AIP, Azure AD, ATP, Security Centre and Compliance Centre, Conditional Access, DLP, Intune, Sentinel, Advanced eDiscovery and management technologies, end point protection / Windows enterprise security stack
- Modern Workplace security aligned position
- Enterprise global estates of 15,000 seats and above
- Experienced in working with large geographically dispersed teams
- Deep level of understanding of Workplace Experience and the role devices and working environments contribute to the Modern Workplace
- Experience developing business orientated self-service deployment and management solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Knowledge of one or more of the following frameworks: NIST, CSA, ISO27K and COBIT
- Be familiar with global regulations and data privacy laws – Australia, EU and USA in particular
- Being a key sponsor for technology development, management and governance
- Leads by example and encourages the team to maintain excellent visibility of industry wide trends and emerging technologies/vendors and ensures that the team understands and utilize developments to the benefit of Pearson
- An open collaborator that shares and coaches their colleagues and works proactively inside their immediate and peer teams
- Strong communication and influencing skills.
Skills and qualifications:
- ITIL operational awareness and understanding
- Relevant Microsoft skills and certification: Security and Azure
- Security skills and qualifications such as CISSP, CSA, CISA
- Strong PowerShell skills, preferential secondary skills in JSON
- Agile methodology: Scrum, SaFE or equivalent
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Other Locations US-NC-Durham
Work Locations: GB-London-80 Strand 80 Strand London WC2R 0RL
Organization: Technology & Operations
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jan 21, 2020
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1914879
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.