The Electrical and Instrument (E&I) Systems & Controls Specialist provides support and development for Plant distributed control systems, PLC based machine controls, Plant electrical distribution systems and Plant instrumentation. The E&I Specialist will supervise and work with Maintenance Technicians to assure systems are operational, including troubleshooting, equipment specification, and emergency call-outs for Port Allen and other ALSC facilities (24 x 7 on-call).
The E&I Specialist provides engineering review for Health & Safety compliance and field supervision for instrumentation installations, preventative maintenance, and will be the single point of accountability for Project instrument, PLC, and machine control. This role also provides construction safety management for the Plant, including permits, audits, and assurance.
- Ensure Blender is operating at peak performance:
- Confirm usages to gauge readings.
- Change (adds, delete, modify) formulation changes within PC based man-machine interface and Blender logic.
- Perform preventative maintenance diagnostic.
- Ensure Tank gauge equipment is operational and accurate. This includes equipment upgrades, man-machine interface, and field telemetry.
- Troubleshoot PLC controls for all Plant equipment.
- Troubleshoot all Instrument and PID loops for all Plant equipment.
- Write PLC logic for given application. Add PLC logic lines when needed/directed. Program Process reporting software as needed.
- Provide supervision to Maintenance Technicians as directed.
- Provide construction site supervision:
- Permit writing, site audits, ASA, and assurance that contractors are performing work in a safe manner (and in compliance to BP Safety rules).
- Inspect quality and design compliance for work performed by contractors.
- Provide training to Maintenance Technicians on PLC and Instrument equipment.
- Participate in Team development and execution of projects, providing expertise, particularly in the PLC/Instrument/Controls area.
- Perform data mining into Plant systems and ALSC's enterprise software as needed/directed.
- Plan preventative maintenance utilizing Plant PM software, labor availability, equipment availability, and parts availability. Assure PM efforts are optimized and effective, including pre-job assessment for safety risk, permit to work, review of task with Team, and close-out when complete.
- Lead continuous improvement efforts utilizing electrical and Instrument technology applicable to our industry.
- Perform Root Cause Analysis, ASA's, and accident investigation as needed. Assist in developing Job Safety Analysis and task risk assessments as needed. Actively participate in Safety Meetings for all Departments. Provide and deliver safety topic as directed. Provide Leadership for Plant Protection and Recovery efforts in case of emergency.
- Serve as primary alternate Area Authority for the facilities.
- Responsible for root cause determination for electrical and/or instrument failures. Determination of: fit for purpose, safe for use, and effective in use for equipment and E & I components.
- Lead the prioritization and implementation of capital and plant related projects on an annual basis.
- Assure the highest level of performance from equipment suppliers, engineering and construction firms and outsource service providers.
- Direct overall engineering activity on a fast track basis as needed to ensure the achievement of BP goals and objectives adding maximum value to corporate initiatives.Responsible for overseeing and guiding staff and plant personnel on relevant technical and equipment related decisions.
Bachelors degree in egineering requried.
- Minimum 3 years on the job experience in Controls required.
- Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be capable of motivating team members to task.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with staff at all levels both internally and externally.
- Strong PC skills, working knowledge of PLC development software, MAXIMO, I-Historian, Fisher-Rosemount operating systems, AB Micro-Logics software, data highway management.