At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
We are recruiting this role within Pearson Finance Services to support the provision of a consolidated view of financial business performance and planning to business partnering teams across Pearson. This role will prepare and deliver financial planning and analysis to business areas enabling effective business decision making. This role will also be expected to contribute to aspects of the budgeting and forecasting cycle.
To undertake this role the following will be required:
- Complete all deliverables in a timely, efficient and accurate manner
- Understand data sources and data flows and how financial and non-financial data is presented
- Apply analytical skills to ensure the accuracy and relevance of outputs needed by the business
- Contribute to team effort and assist co-workers across PFS and all business divisions as needed to enable effective delivery.
- Help to create a work atmosphere conducive to collaborative working
- Maintain customer satisfaction by promptly following up on customers’ requests for information
- Identify opportunities for continuous process improvement and innovative solutions and communicate these to your line manager
- Complete the processing of all technical responsibilities (see below) in a timely, efficient and accurate manner
- Ensure the preparation of ad-hoc analysis / production of reports as requested to support accurate reporting and business decisions
- Preparing variance analysis against performance targets
- Preparing monthly management reporting packs (including but not limited to analysis of payroll and FTE)
- Assist in providing Finance Business Partners with insightful pre-close Flash P&L reports.
- Monthly calendar of activities to be maintained as agreed and current view of deadlines and communicated to Finance Business Partners timely.
- Preparation of accruals / other adjustment journal entries as required
- Supporting in the Planning, Budgeting and Forecasting cycles through preparation of analyses and system loads working with the BPO team to complete in line with strict deadlines
- Ensure performance targets are met and service is delivered to end users as expected.
- Take proactive involvement in determining and implementing best practices
- Reconcile data between source ERPs and consolidated reporting tools (Oracle/Hyperion) and seeking explanations for significant variances
- Reviewing the output of our Bangalore based BPO team
- Ad hoc reporting and analysis as required.
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Mandatory skills / capabilities:
- Experience of planning, budgeting and forecasting and producing management information for decision making. Ability to apply a range of budgeting and forecasting techniques to provide the business partners with the relevant financial information in anaccurate and timely way
- Well developed analytical/variance analysis skills, proven ability to review and analyse financial data and explain results. Providing analysis to support decision making
- Understanding of financial control processes and functions
- Strong understanding of materiality and ability to prioritise across competing agendas
- Strong accounting knowledge –Part qualified accountant with relevant experience in: budgeting, planning, forecasting, management reporting and variance analysis
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel (v-lookups, sum-ifs, pivot tables etc.)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with both finance and non-finance professionals
- Experience of finance ERP systems (Oracle preferred but not essential)
- A self-starter who is motivated to work under own initiative when required demonstrating initiative and sound judgement
- Demonstration of strong performance against targets and key performance indicators and an ability to focus on value-added activities
- Ability to work as part of a team, identifying and providing support to colleagues
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and to be able to prioritise to meet those deadlines
- Stakeholder management
Desirable skills / capabilities
- Experience working with and partnering and presenting to stakeholders in multiple geographical locations and time zones;
- Ability to multitask; coordinating the delivery of multiple priorities in parallel across disparate teams and locations
- Experience using Oracle and Hyperion systems and Smartview tools
Primary Location: GB-GB-Belfast
Work Locations: GB-Belfast-Millennium House Millennium House, 1st Floor Great Victoria Street Belfast BT2 7AQ
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Mar 7, 2019
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1903059
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.