Finance Business Partner- Learning Services
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Summary of role:
A key member of the UK Schools Finance team and a business partner to the Learning Services, Sales and Marketing Directors providing financial support to drive overall performance. Responsible for revenues of approx. £60m and a cost base of approx. c.£20m including both opex and capex.
A key element of this role will be to continue with the transition towards the target operating model.
- Support Finance Director, UK Schools and act as a business partner supporting Learning Services Directors, Sales and Marketing Directors, advising on financial matters and ensuring delivery of business and operational objectives
- Support Finance Director, UK Schools in providing insight and analysis to the business to aid forward looking decision making and improve profitability
- Contribute and drive the transition towards the target operating model
- Oversight of actual monthly results and KPIs and informed and insightful commentary thereon
- Highlight key risks and opportunities within functions and providing insights
- Support decisions on project and portfolio investments, ensuring they are measured against financial targets and profitability assessed post product launch
- Identify and address operational improvement and cost opportunities
- Develop & prepare financial business cases supporting Learning Services business area with support from PFS. Support decisions on pipeline investments, ensuring they are measured against financial targets
- Work collaboratively with PFS to deliver key reporting, planning and forecasting processes providing accurate and timely future facing data on which to base decisions
- Understand the financial controls and audit requirements and ensure they are adhered to
- Consistent and extensive collaboration within Finance and across Pearson, including colleagues in Geographies, Product groups, Enabling Functions, Country hub operations and Centres of excellence organised at the Pearson level
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Qualifications and experience required:
- Qualified with demonstrable experience in a management accounting role
- Fluent English speaker
- Experience working in a multi-national matrix organization.
- Strong understanding of materiality and ability to prioritize across competing agendas
- Ability to manage change and solutions focused
- Ability to conduct investment analysis, capital asset evaluation with a focus on profitability
- Ability to identify business risks and implementation of tactics to mitigate
- Understanding of financial control, business performance management and process optimisation and experience of working in more than one of these areas.
- An understanding of putting internal financial results into an external market context.
- Awareness of multiple business models and experience of working with more than one.
- Understanding of finance specialist areas: tax, treasury, M&A, compliance, corporate governance and ability to utilise proper judgement to involve them as necessary.
- Effective partnering and strong communication between Learning Services, Clinical, Sales and Marketing leadership teams and Finance teams
- Strong performance against KPIs and targets
- Accurate and timely delivery of investment and business cases
- Effective involvement of PFS in all relevant processes
- Operating model and new ways of working implemented
- Operational improvements and cost opportunities identified and realised
- Strong collaboration with Product groups, Geographies, Enabling Functions, Group Control, Finance Centres of Excellence and with embedded Finance teams across Pearson
- Improved forecasting and planning efficiency and accuracy
- Leverage of analytics tools to focus organisation on value-added activities
- Communication: strong verbal and written skills within finance, across the organisation and with external parties.
- Influence: presence and confidence to interact with senior management. Ability to leverage influence across teams and cultures.
- Emotional Intelligence (self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy, social skill) and the ability to apply it to work successfully in a matrix environment.
- Collaboration: with other internal teams and third party providers.
- Decision Making: understanding materiality, complex and uncertain situation, prioritization
- Performance focused: self & others
- Time Management: ability to work under pressure and to tight timelines, producing a high standard of work with attention to detail
- Analytics focused: organising information and manipulates data to identify/explain trends, problems and mitigating actions
- Driving change: identifying opportunities for continuous improvement and innovation across the business and in the Finance target operating model.
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-80 Strand 80 Strand London WC2R 0RL
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Nov 22, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1815151
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.