At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Responsible for managing a small team providing financial analysis and support within Pearson Finance as well as BPM support to the stakeholders in a number of business areas. This position will work with the local BPM in partnering with the business, and through having an in depth understanding of their business area will be able to support them in their operational activities and strategic objectives whilst maintaining integrity in their financial reporting.
Collaboration, partnership and stakeholder management are foundational to success in this role.
This role will involve working in a changing environment, managing a team during transformational change and being part of the delivery of a new business operating model within Pearson.
In order to undertake this role you will need to:
- Understand where data comes from and how it is presented to enable application into the process in the right way
- Apply judgment and analytical skills to ensure the accuracy and relevance of outputs needed by the business
- Contribute to team effort and assist co-workers across PFS and all business divisions as needed to enable effective delivery
- Help to create a work atmosphere conducive to collaborative working
- Maintain customer satisfaction by promptly following up on customers’ requests for information
- Ensure performance targets are met and service is delivered to end users as expected
- Identify opportunities for continuous process improvement and innovative solutions and communicating these to the Managers
- Deliver effective key outputs as a SME contributor not just as a team manager
- Manage competing demands and prioritise appropriately.
Planning, Budgeting & Forecasting
- Support in the preparation of the Strategic Plan financials and targets
- Monitor the financial progress against the Strategic Plan submitted, giving analysis where relevant of deviations to plan.
- Support the Annual Operating Planning and Quarterly Forecasting processes including;
- Working with the PFS, BPM and Business teams to prepare templates to capture data in a standardised manner that supports analysis requirements from the Business and BPM teams
- Oversee the preparation within PFS of the compensation and opex plans to share with the local BPM and Business in the standard templates
- Review current performance of business & assess major risks & opportunities
- Prepare profitability analysis and variance analysis and report on findings with documented conclusions
- Prepare and review Project Accounting budgets and incorporate into consolidated op plan pack for review with the business
- Provide reasoned advice on modelling, planning and forecasting with reference to cost, time and quality which incorporate the organization strategic direction.
- Work with the Local BPM and Business to ensure all submissions are received in a timely manner to PFS
- Work with the FP&A Team Managers to ensure all data is loaded in a timely manner to OHP to enable time to reconcile and review with the business prior to submission to Group
- Compile documents and prepare supporting documentation including presentations for review with the Local BPM and key business stakeholders.
- Track the Business financial targets through transfers and between planning cycles, clearly and simply explaining movements in the targets
- Work with the business and local BPM to prepare business cases in agreed formats with relevant supporting documentation and presentations as part of the approval process.
- Provide guidance on the financial viability and support on the collation of the financial cost and benefit data inputs
Financial Analysis(both at month end and on ad hoc basis)
- Review products & projects to ensure accounting is in line with policies
- Request accrual or other accounting adjustments that are judgement based
- Provide analysis to support decision-making, including presenting economic outcomes, identifying the key value drivers, benefits, sensitivities and risks, accounting and fiscal implications.
- Support problem solving using sensitivity analysis and other techniques; review variance analyses and account reconciliations, and identify significant items requiring the attention of higher-level management.
- Prepare analysis and reports that enable the business management to effectively challenge costs and inform decision-making.
- Participate in efforts with the business to understand key drivers and cost reduction opportunities.
- Review and QA various outputs including month end accounts and reporting packs prepared in PFS for Senior Management in the business and the local BPM
- Support the resolution of problems identified through the review and quality assurance processes
- Provide additional commentary based on the business knowledge on packs to be provided to the business and local BPM, and work with the business to resolve queries in the accounts
- Deliver project based work alongside ‘business as usual’ in an environment of ongoing change and development
- Manage direct reports by motivating, developing and leading them in accordance with Pearson policies.
- Conduct regular Personal Development Reviews as per Pearson policy
- To communicate honestly with your team, providing constructive feedback
- To effectively manage the time and attendance of all Employees in your area, setting and achieving of deadlines/targets.
- To effectively implement positive change within the department, lead and motivate employees.
Communication– Communicate financial information and concepts in a clear, precise, thorough manner to meet the needs of both finance and non-finance audiences. Appreciate the diversity of stakeholder interactions and adapt personal style as well as approach accordingly.
Accountability and Ownership– Prioritise and balance, organize, and allocate time, action, and resource to generate significant positive results and achieve critical goals. Anticipate and decisively intervene, addressing and removing obstacles, and redirecting efforts to accelerate work, improve quality, move the work forward, and/or get efforts back on track.
Collaboration and Partnering– Identify opportunities and take action to build relationships between own area and other teams/departments to help achieve business goals. Supporting the local BPM with ad hoc reporting and analysis questions.
Change Management Capability– Understand the change management process. Able to influence and lead others to embrace change positively in support of organizational objectives.
Prioritization– Juggle many priorities and competing demands for one's time. Understand the importance of materiality when prioritizing work.
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
- Extensive experience in a Finance Management role/BPM role
- Strong accounting knowledge – holding a recognised professional accountancy qualification
- Excellent understanding of materiality and ability to prioritize across competing demands
- Experience of finance ERP systems (Oracle preferred but not essential)
- Understanding of financial control, business performance management and process optimization and experience of working in more than one of these areas
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel (v-lookups, sum-ifs, pivot tables etc.)
- People Management experience
- High commitment to quality to ensure reports are prepared accurately first time
- A self-starter who is motivated to work under own initiative demonstrating initiative and sound judgement;
- Ability to work as part of a wider management team, identifying and providing support to colleagues
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and to be able to prioritise to meet those deadlines
- Experience working in a multi-national matrix organization
- Awareness of multiple business models and experience of working with more than one
- Understanding of finance specialist areas: tax, treasury, M&A, compliance, corporate governance and ability to utilise proper judgement to involve them as necessary
- Understand the principles of change management and demonstrated ability to champion and drive change.
- Participation in international projects.
- Experience transitioning finance activities between locations/groups
- Experience of working in a shared services/delivery centre environment
Primary Location: GB-GB-Belfast
Work Locations: GB-Belfast-Millennium House Millennium House, 1st Floor Great Victoria Street Belfast BT2 7AQ
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jan 30, 2019
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1814935
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.