Finance Manager - Product Technology
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Summary of role:
Act the business partner providing support to the CTO Product group, particularly with respect to major projects and strategic initiatives.
Take the lead on the Global Learning Platform business case across the Technology and Product business units.
Ensure that strategic business cases are accurately and efficiently managed and delivered.
Ensure accurate, timely, efficient and well communicated financial planning, forecasting and reporting for Product Technology Group specifically for the CTO Product group.
Work collaboratively with the PMO and CTO Product teams to ensure business cases and associated reporting are of high quality and accuracy.
CTO Product spend of £17m opex and £58m capex.
- Support CTO Product SVP as a business partner, advising on financial matters and ensuring delivery of business and operational objectives.
- Develop and prepare business cases, forecasts, budgets and strategic plans
- Provide insight and analysis to the business to aid forward looking decision making
- Oversight on monthly results and KPIs and commentary thereon
- Support decisions on project and portfolio, ensuring they are measured against financial targets
- Contribute to and support wider Product, Technology, Operations and Enabling functions finance team initiatives as required
- Work collaboratively with the Pearson Finance Services team to manage reporting and planning.
- Understand the business regulatory and audit requirements, ensuring they are adhered to
- Support the roll out of the new TEP ledger system across the product team.
- Consistent and extensive collaboration within finance and across Pearson, including colleagues in Geographies, Product groups, Enabling Functions, Country hub operations and Centres of excellence organized at the Pearson level.
- Effective partnering and strong communication between CTO Product leadership team and BPM Finance teams
- Strong performance against KPIs and targets
- Accurate and timely delivery of investment cases
- Effective involvement of PFS in processes
- Successful execution of the TEP program
- Strong collaboration with Product groups, Geographies, Enabling Functions, Group Control, Finance Centers of Excellence and with embedded finance teams across Pearson.
- Improved forecasting, planning and reporting efficiency
- Leverage of analytics and tools to focus time of value adding activities.
Qualifications and experience required:
- Deep accounting knowledge – qualification as an accountant or MBA degree.
- Proven business partnering experience (3 years )
- Well proven ability to conduct business case and investment analysis and capital asset evaluation.
- Qualified with demonstrable experience in management accounting role.
- Fluent English speaker.
- Experience working in a multi-national matrix organization.
- Strong understanding of materiality and ability to prioritize across competing agendas
- Ability to identify business risks and implementation of tactics to mitigate
- Understanding of financial control, business performance management and process optimization and experience of working in more than one of these areas.
- An understanding of putting internal financial results into an external market context.
- Awareness of multiple business models and experience of working with more than one.
- Understanding of finance specialist areas: tax, treasury, M&A, compliance, corporate governance and ability to utilize proper judgement to involve them as necessary.
- Understand the principles of change management and demonstrated ability to champion and drive change.
- FP&A experience
- Communication: strong verbal and written skills within finance, across the organization and with external parties.
- Influence: presence and confidence to interact with very senior management. Ability to influence across teams and cultures.
- Emotional Intelligence: self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy, social skills
- Project Leadership & Delivery: leading team resources to create, drive and deliver on a project plan even if they do not report directly.
- Collaboration: with other internal teams and third party providers.
- Decision Making: understanding materiality, complex and uncertain situations, prioritisation
- Performance focused: self & others
- Strategic Thinking: working beyond the current role to look at the big picture and shape the future.
NOTE: MUST be fully authorized to work in the U.S. No visa sponsorship or transfers.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-CO-Centennial
Other Locations US-NJ-Hoboken
Work Locations: US-CO-Centennial-2154 East Commons 2154 East Commons Avenue Centennial 80122
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Feb 6, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1802084