Finance Manager, Technology Operations
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Responsible for leading the Technology Operations Finance team and providing financial support to SVP Technology Operations and his leadership team. The Technology Operations Finance team is responsible for acting as Business Partners driving strategy, planning and overall financial performance. This position will partner with Technology Operations leadership to understand the current dynamics compared to market trends and optimise investment opportunities.
Directly responsible for a cost base of approx. £150m including both opex and capex.
Supporting the Technology Operations transformation program.
Collaboration, partnership and active stakeholder management are foundational to success in this role. Thriving in an evolving environment, working to drive innovation, and embed industry best practice to drive sustainable growth is key.
Strategy & Resource Planning
●Applies a strategic planning approach, identifying tools, techniques and practices that are business enablers and enhance improvements in cost/performance or sustainability.
●Monitors the finance progress against leadership team strategic goals and identifies bottlenecks to progress, identifying potential solutions, providing advice and escalating as needed to ensure goals are achieved.
Planning, Budgeting & Forecasting
●Supports planning processes, including setting targets, communicating assumptions, coordinating budget preparation, challenging submissions and seeking synergies upon consolidation.
●Provides the business with relevant financial support to enable effective planning while applying budgeting and forecasting techniques.
●Provides reasoned advice on modelling, planning and forecasting with reference to cost, time and quality whichincorporate the organization strategic direction.
●Applies common quantitative techniques such as discounted cash flow (DCF) to model the economic, fiscal and accounting impact of typical commercial activities.
●Provides analysis to support decision-making, including presenting economic outcomes, identifying the key value drivers, benefits, sensitivities and risks, accounting and fiscal implications.
●Prepares and analyses problems using sensitivity analysis and other techniques; reviews variance analyses and account reconciliations, and identifies significant items requiring the attention of higher-level management.
●Has experience working with multiple business models.
Investment Analysis & Allocation
●Applies a combination of quantitative methods, qualitative judgement and forward estimates in the development of sophisticated capital investment analysis.
●Communicates investment analysis criteria to non-finance professionals in a clear and concise manner to support decision making in resource that drives revenue growth.
●Applies various techniques such as target costing, value analysis, life cycle and is able to discuss implications.
●Prepares analysis and reports that enable the business management to effectively challenge costs and inform decision-making.
●Participates in waste elimination efforts with the business to understand key drivers and cost reduction opportunities.
● * Ability to Influence Others * –Identifies the agendas, concerns, and motivations of interested others, and is persuasive when positioning ideas and arguments to address them. Proactively cultivates networks with key individuals across functions to gain support for ideas, creating a foundation for future influence. Ensures that all proposals or arguments are fully supported by strong logic and a compelling business case, addressing all relevant factors.
● Communication –Communicates financial information and concepts in a clear, precise, thorough manner to meet the needs of both finance and non-finance audiences.Ensures that own positions effectively address others' needs and priorities, and that concerns are openly discussed and addressed. Projects self-assurance and unshakable confidence to influence outcomes with persuasiveness and candor. Appreciates the diversity of stakeholder interactions and adapts personal style as well as approach accordingly.
● * Strategic Decision Making * –Critically and logically evaluates potential short- and long-term costs, risks, and benefits of alternatives before making key decisions.Critically and logically evaluates the costs, risks, and benefits of alternatives before making decisions.
● * Accountability and Ownershi * *p* –Prioritizes and balances, organizes, and allocates time, actions, and resources to generate significant positive results and achieve critical goals, even in fast-moving or uncertain situations. Anticipates and decisively intervenes, addressing and removing obstacles, and redirects efforts to accelerate work, improves quality, moves the work forward, and/or gets efforts back on track.
● * Collaboration and Partnering * – Identifies opportunities and takes actions to build relationships between own area and other teams/departments to help achieve business goals.
● * Change Management Capability * –Understands the change management process. Able to influence and lead others to embrace change positively in support of organizational objectives.
Prioritization –Juggles many priorities and competing demands for one's time. Understands the importance of materiality when prioritizing work.
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-80 Strand 80 Strand London WC2R 0RL
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Oct 5, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1812362
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.