Financial Control Analyst
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Summary of role:
- The Accountant will work closely with the BPO and UK team in performing various activities related to controlling the UK balance sheets. This position will work closely with all departments and finance teams to ensure that financial activities are posted on a timely basis, meet all corporate policies and are accurately recorded.
- Performance of activity to the highest standards. Identifying opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Complete the monthly review of balance sheet reconciliations ensuring reconciliations are compliant and understandable.
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations for unreconciled accounts.
- Identifying and resolving process issues in order to maintain a controlled balance sheet.
- Preparation of quarterly balance sheet packs used for management reporting. This includes identifying risks and opportunities relating to unreconciled items held on the balance sheet
- Completion of SOX tests and reviews in order to remain SOX compliant
- Completion of ad-hoc projects as and when they occur
- Contribute to team effort and assist co-workers as needed to balance workloads.
- Help to create a work atmosphere conducive to a high degree of integrity and teamwork.
- Identify opportunities for continuous process improvement and innovative solutions and communicate these to the manager.
- Take proactive involvement in determining and implementing best practices.
- Ensure all processes are kept well-documented.
- Completion of regular business surveys, including insurance renewals.
- Responding to external auditor queries.
- General Accounting
- Support of the month end and year end close process for assigned business unit – journal approval, management and statutory reporting.
- Assist in the preparation for the formal Balance Sheet Reviews for business units.
- Prepare simple account reconciliations, analysis or roll-forwards
- Prepare reporting on balance sheet
- Prepare ad-hoc analysis / production of reports as requested to support accurate reporting and support business decisions. Aggregate data required to support internal and external customers.
- Assist with Annual Desktop Procedure (DTP) review and write up for any new processes created or transitioned to IBM.
- Assist, as needed, to support compliance activities.
- Significant interaction with business units, enabling functions, and auditors.
- Ensure timing and classification of entries are correct and that accounting treatment within business units is consistent.
- Ensure that corporate policies and procedures are consistently applied.
Qualifications and experience required:
ACA/ACCA/CIMA part qualified accountant with 2-5 years experience in relevant financial environment. Ability to develop skills in the following areas. Prior knowledge or experience an advantage.
- Finance function and accounting operations, financial management and management accounting
- Management reporting (including variance analysis) and ability to communicate effectively with key stakeholders
- Detailed knowledge around finance function processes (RTR, PTP, OTC, Payroll)
- Flexibility to meet tight and changing deadlines.
- Experience working in an audit team an advantage but not essential.
- Strong working relationship with the UK financial control and BPO teams.
- Delivery of all work to agreed Service Level Agreements.
- Process improvement over time including simplification and standardization.
- Able to work independently using own initiative to solve problems as well as being a key member of the team.
- Ensure accuracy and quality of deliverables by being able to investigate the details.
Primary Location: GB-GB-Belfast
Work Locations: GB-Belfast-Millennium House Millennium House, 1st Floor Great Victoria Street Belfast BT2 7AQ
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Feb 12, 2018
Job Unposting: Feb 23, 2018
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1802280