Financial Control Analyst - Financial Reporting
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Summary of role:
- Assist in the co-ordination of the month end close process for the UK business, including financial analysis, review & journal preparation.
- Work closely with all departments and finance teams to ensure that financial activities are recorded and reported on an accurate and timely basis whilst meeting all corporate policies.
The P&L team is responsible for all UK month end activities such as:
- Closing activities
- Review of data
- Journal processing & review
- Group reporting
- Analysis of figures
- Provide feedback on variances
- Audit assistance
- Working with the HR team and auditors to provide back-up information
- SOX central testing
There is a large focus on internal controls within the UKFC team; this role provides a great opportunity to take a step back to review current processes, implement change to ensure each task is adding value.
At year end and half year, there is a close relationship with the statutory reporting team to help produce the back-up to our statutory report and working with the auditors to provide information where required.
- Ensure that Pearson policies and processes are understood, applied and are effective for the UK business, and meets all compliance requirements (SOX, audit, etc.).
- Identify opportunities for continuous process improvement and innovative solutions and apply them as appropriate.
- Contribute to team effort and assist co-workers as needed to balance workloads, and share knowledge. Help to create a work atmosphere conducive to a high degree of integrity and teamwork
- Ensure all process documentation is accurate and kept up-to-date.
- Work with the Local UK Financial Control team and the Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) team in Bangalore to ensure processes are complete, and accurate and process improvements are identified and adopted.
- Assist in the co-ordination of the month end close process for the UK business and associated Legal/Prime entities. To include journal preparation, inter-company reconciliations, management review of results and financial reporting to the group consolidation system (Prime).
- Prepare ad-hoc analysis / production of reports as requested to support accurate reporting and support business decisions. Aggregate data required to support internal and external customers.
- Assist with Annual Desktop Procedure (DTP) review and write up for any new processes created or transitioned to IBM.
- Request and process accruals or other adjustments to the accounts. Review of month end postings for quality, identifying necessary material adjustments required and requesting necessary journal entries.
- Assist with financial compliance activities for the UK business.
- Ensure timing and classification of entries are correct and that accounting treatment is consistent across Pearson in the UK.
- Ensure that corporate policies and procedures are consistently applied.
- Strong working relationship with the UK Finance Business Partnering team.
- Delivery of all work to agreed Service Level Agreements
- Process improvement over time including simplification and standardization.
Ideally Part-Qualified (continuing to pursue an accountancy qualification).
Minimum of 2 years relevant experience essential. All candidates must be able to actively demonstrate accounting skills and understanding of key accounting concepts.
Prior knowledge or experience in some or all of the following areas will be an advantage.
- Finance function and accounting operations, financial management and management accounting
- Detailed knowledge around finance function processes (RTR, PTP, OTC and Project Accounting)
- Flexibility to meet tight and changing deadlines.
Primary Location: GB-GB-Belfast
Work Locations: GB-Belfast-Millennium House Millennium House, 1st Floor Great Victoria Street Belfast BT2 7AQ
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Aug 13, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1809050
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled