Financial Planning & Analysis Manager
Pearson is a global education company that helps people around the world to make progress in their lives through learning. With a rich heritage that combines 50 years of experience in publishing with the latest learning technology and digital services, we help people to learn whatever, wherever and however they choose.
We are now transforming Pearson to accelerate our activity in digital learning, education services and emerging markets. This will enable us to make a lasting impact in helping to solve some of the most important challenges in global education. We’re here to help people make progress in their lives through access to better learning. By helping them along their journey of discovery and inspiration, we aim to cultivate a lifelong love of learning that enables them to enjoy a robust and fulfilling life - whether that’s through employment or simply the ongoing joy of learning.
Pearson Finance Services:
Pearson Finance Services (PFS) is a dedicated captive finance shared service centre established in 2016 as part of a major efficiency programme across Pearson’s global finance function. PFS is a central part of the ‘FInance Operations’ organisation within Pearson which is accountable for the delivery of all finance services, including financial control to the business. The services provided by PFS to its internal customers are Financial Reporting & Control; Financial Planning & Analysis; Project Accounting & Fixed Assets and Operational Finance. PFS receives transactional finance services (P2P, O2C, R2R) from Pearson’s Business Process Outsourcing centre in Bangalore, with PFS being responsible for reviewing the quality, completeness and timeliness of these services.Both the Reporting Centre of Expertise and Intelligent Automation functions are also located at the Belfast site.
There are currently over 120 employees in PFS servicing four Senior Vice Presidents (SVPs) across Pearson finance who are accountable for finance services in the UK, North America and a number of Pearson businesses.
Job Title:PFS Financial Planning & Analysis Manager - Reporting to PFS Delivery Director.
Summary of role:
The Financial Planning & Analysis Manager is responsible for the delivery of planning, budgeting & forecasting and management reporting & analysis services to internal PFS customers. Supporting the business partners globally to provide high quality information for strategic decision making.
Working closely with the newly established Reporting Centre of Expertise (RCOE) to drive the development of a set of high quality, reliable and robust standard reports to deliver timely and insightful information to the business customer.
Ensure efficient & effective management and delivery to customers of all F,P&A activities within the Pearson Finance Services and BPO organisations
Undertake effective demand management processes to manage, prioritise, delegate and deliver an optimum service to the customer that aligns to their strategic requirements
Liaise closely with the Relationship Manager group who act as the single points of contact for the Finance Business Partnering Teams;
Liaise closely with the PFS Governance Manager in order to maintain effective service delivery to PFS from the BPO centre in Bangalore;
Be a fully integrated member of the PFS leadership team to assist the continuing and effective operations of the organisation
As a member of the PFS leadership team, work to develop & continuously improve the services performed by PFS, constantly seeking further efficiency & effectiveness through standardisation, simplification & elimination as appropriate.
Support the Finance Business Partnering Team in educating the business on the Finance Operating Model as required.
- Lead, coach and mentor staff across the organisation
Lead a team of FP&A analysts and senior analysts to deliver:
- Input into the annual strategic planning process as required through preparation of analyses, sales & margin plans, and other requested supporting information to enable collation of the plan;
- Support divisions with collation of their strategic plan submissions;
- Assist in preparation of documentation and presentations relating to the strategic plan;
- Load of strategic plan onto Oracle Hyperion Planning system, managing governance and control of load process, and reconciliation of inputs;
- Annual operating plan process, collation of budgets, review with business partners and loading onto Oracle Hyperion Planning system.
- Quarterly forecasting processes, collation of forecasts, review with business partners and update on Oracle Hyperion Planning system.
- Production of month end management information packs, including supporting variance analysis and commentary;
- Monthly consolidation of management information packs across geographies and enabling functions and roll up to group level showing performance against budget and forecast;
- Provision of insightful commentary and analytical analysis in management information packs to facilitate senior leadership discussion and decision making.
- Provision of ad-hoc analyses and reporting as required outside of the normal month, quarter and year end processes to support decision making
- for example, product profitability; cost of sales analysis; customer and product mix
- Make recommendations as to management information requirements, and format of standardised outputs across all areas of the business.
- Work closely with the RCOE to design, test and implement a suite of standard reports
Manage the activities in the running of the Financial Planning & Analysis team. This includes establishing and managing operating plans and goals for the team, developing work schedules, back-up procedures and managing staffing requirements to ensure maximum and minimum coverage levels at all times;
Ensure that teams function effectively and efficiently.
Continuously control of processes to ensure that the Financial PLanning & Analysis area operates in an efficient and cost effective manner and identify upcoming opportunities for improvement
Develop and manage short and long term operational goals and tactical objectives ensuring customer goals are incorporated
Negotiate and ensure key performance metrics are met and service is delivered to customers as expected
Develop, build and maintain relationships with all finance areas serviced by PFS
Develop, maintain, and update personal knowledge and expertise through appropriate means to ensure understanding of relevant knowledge areas and to identify possible future developments
Monitor, control & identify improvements required to systems, processes and databases to ensure system and data security and ensure they are up to date and comply with current legislation
- Outstanding communication skills, comfortable across a variety of media and channels. Ability to communicate effectively across all levels and with multiple interested parties in parallel
The manager of the Financial Planning & Analysis will display deep technical skills in the areas of planning, budgeting & forecasting, and management information for decision making.
- Lead planning processes, including setting targets, communicating assumptions, coordinating budget preparation,challenging submissions and seeking synergies upon consolidation.
- Provide the business with relevant financial support to enable effective planning while applying moderate budgeting and forecasting techniques.
- Provide reasoned advice on modelling, planning and forecasting with reference to cost, time and quality reflecting an understanding of the implementation pf Pearson global strategy.
- Use financial ratio analysis to evaluate the organisation’s performance, its financial state, the effectiveness of its use of working capital and its creditworthiness.
- Apply discounted cash flow (DCF) techniques to evaluate commercial and financial decisions; determine and challenge the assumptions that drive commercial decisions.
- Prepare profit and loss, economic value added and cash flow analysis to enable decision-making; evaluate changes in account balances and identify items requiring escalation.
- Apply common quantitative techniques such as discounted cash flow (DCF) and value at risk (VAR) to model the economic, fiscal and accounting impact of typical commercial activities or standard financial structures and instruments.
- Provide analysis to support decision-making, including presenting economic outcomes, identifying the key value drivers, benefits, sensitivities and risks, accounting and fiscal implications.
- Prepare and analyse problems using sensitivity analysis and other techniques; review variance analyses and identify significant items requiring the attention of senior management.
- Lead the team to work with the RCoE to develop business unit reporting systems for management, project or performance reporting and implement processes to deliver management information according to the reporting cycle.
- Assess, generate and implement ideas to optimise identification and delivery of management information to multi-functional teams.
- Lead the development of functional reporting systems, for management, project or performance reporting.
- Challenge and make fundamental changes to address issues arising in the quality and/or timeliness of management information.
- Promotes and ensures the use of appropriate data collection & analysis techniques, methodologies and tools, in the scope of own responsibilities and team, recommending where appropriate these to the business partnering teams
Ensures the team and self:
- Obtain working knowledge of the finance systems landscape, it’s integration and data flows
- Monitor the applications and effectiveness of the finance systems to support the work of the team.
- Proactively share finance systems knowledge across PFS .
Leadership, people management and development
Recruit, retain and motivate staff and build a high performing team;
Work collaboratively with the wider senior management team to promote and support the vision of the future PFS organisation.
Lead, inspire and motivate your team to achieve collective and individual success.
- Create a culture of high performance. Set high performance standards, continually review performance, provide feedback and recognise success and achievements. Carry out on-the-job coaching and mentoring to improve performance.
Empower people to take ownership and responsibility.
- Create a culture of continuous learning and development. Identify and plan training needs within the team and ensure each team member has a personal development plan. Provide support for staff to achieve their learning and development objectives and evaluate the impact of learning and development activities on performance.
Encourage people to share their ideas for making improvements to their own and others performance and development.
Manage / own all operational people processes and activities.
Provide ongoing pastoral care and support for teams - including work-life balance and well-being.
- Delivery of all work to agreed key performance indicators.
- Process improvement over time including simplification, standardization and elimination, crystallising measurable benefits to the organisation.
- Leverages the work of the Reporting, and Intelligent Automation Centres of Expertise to deliver efficiencies.
- Ownership of service deliverables and outcomes, and a high performing team of FP&A analysts recognised for their knowledge and quality output.
- Flexibility to meet tight and changing deadlines.
- Qualified accountant with at least 5 years PQE experience in delivering FP&A services
- Complex systems experience with Oracle R12 experience preferable
- Global /matrix environment experience preferably shared services experience
- Analytical and strong problem solving capability
- Strong at working within agreed constructs and holding others to account
- Experience of managing medium sized teams (15-30)
- Experience of managing multiple internal and external stakeholders in order to deliver against requirements
- Strong commercial acumen and business specific experience
- Comfortable delivering to a digitally focused agenda
Primary Location: GB-GB-Belfast
Work Locations: GB-Belfast-Millennium House Millennium House, 1st Floor Great Victoria Street Belfast BT2 7AQ
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Mar 6, 2018
Job Unposting: Mar 30, 2018
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1803855