Slaughter and May is one of the world’s leading international law firms with an extensive corporate, commercial and financing practice. The specialist groups, including Tax, Competition, Financial Regulation, Dispute Resolution, Intellectual Property, Real Estate and Pensions and Employment, complement these main activities.
The firm is organised into groups that undertake a general spread of work, encouraging lawyers to work on an extensive range of financial and commercial matters as well as developing an expertise in specialist areas. Much of the work spans the globe, with transactions involving the firm’s overseas offices as well as leading independent law firms in other jurisdictions.
Unlike at other City firms, we do not have internal billing targets. The absence of billing or time-recorded targets benefits both our clients and our fee earners. While our clients appreciate the value we add, our lawyers are able to focus exclusively on the work in hand and are not burdened by an hours-driven culture.
The group is made up of 3 partners, 10 associates, 3 PSLs, 1 Paralegal and 4 trainees.
They advise on many of the most complex and innovative projects in the regulated financial services sector. Their
broad experience and regulatory skillset enable them to provide first-class insight, support and advice on the
regulatory aspects of financial services transactions and to find practical solutions to the regulatory issues that our
• Drafting, reviewing and amending the legal and regulatory aspects of documentation
• Advising on a range of financial regulatory issues
• Providing efficient professional support for partners
• Developing professional relationships with clients
• Supporting the wider team in developing business and raising the profile of the firm
• Managing/supervising the work of others, including trainees.
• Appropriate level of post-qualification experience (we anticipate pqe between approximately 0 and 3 years) in a City or leading international firm
• First rate legal/commercial knowledge and analytical skills
• Broad exposure across a range of significant regulatory matters and transactions
• Previous experience giving financial regulatory advice in a strategic context. For example, advice to general counsel and boards on group structural and/or strategic projects with a material regulatory element
• Knowledge and experience of advising on both conduct matters and regulatory capital and other aspects of prudential regulation (including in a transactional context), particularly in one or both of the banking/investment firm and insurance sectors
• Experience of reviewing, analysing and providing detailed advice on EU legislation
• First rate drafting skills
• Strong academic background (probably a first class degree, though not necessarily in law) and a demonstrable high level of intellectual rigour
• Excellent client relationship skills
• Excellent efficiency and transaction management skills
• Ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually challenging environment
• Resilient under pressure with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
• Experienced in running negotiations/meetings
• High level of professionalism and integrity
• Willingness to present to large and small groups, both internal and external
• ?We prefer candidate who have broad-ranging experience and have not specialised exclusively on one type
of client (e.g. asset managers)
•? Experience of dealing with disputes with regulators would be a significant advantage
???????•? Experience of advising on payments and/or credit regulation would be a plus
???????•? Prudential regulatory experience (e.g. advising on regulatory capital, both within and outside the context
of transactions) would be useful
• Experience of advising on payments and/or credit regulation would be a plus
The purpose of this description is to provide guidance in relation to the general requirements of the position referred to. It is by no means an exhaustive list of the responsibilities that will be involved.
Salary and benefits package: Competitive
Closing date for all applications: 31/05/18
Location: EC1Y 8YY
Please note that any offer of employment with the firm is subject to the firm receiving a satisfactory report in respect of the successful candidate from its third party screening and vetting agency.