Global Indirect Tax Manager
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
The role of Indirect Tax Manager is to provide Indirect Tax Advice and support to UK and wider global Group companies, together with review and oversight of UK entity VAT return compliance work performed within Pearson’s Shared Service Centre for finance.
The Indirect Tax Manager will work as part of the Pearson Global Indirect Tax Team and will report to the Director, Global Indirect Tax.
The Indirect Tax team ultimately reports into VP - Tax Business Support.
Provide support to the wider Indirect Tax Team in the management of global indirect tax risks and opportunities including;
- Business partnering, providing commercially aligned VAT/GST technical advice to tax, finance and business operational teams around the world (excl. US).
- Working on ad hoc projects to ensure that all indirect tax implications are handled correctly, including but not limited to HMRC’s MTD agenda and Brexit planning/implementation.
- Pro-actively identify, manage and implement indirect tax opportunities for the business.
- Prepare UK partial exemption special method (“PESM”) calculations to ensure that it continues to achieve a fair and reasonable recovery rate for UK entities.
- Prepare Capital Goods Scheme calculations.
- Review and monitor property portfolio for indirect tax compliance.
- Support any necessary Oracle E-B tax logic changes that are necessary resulting from legislative or business change.
- Review and oversight of UK VAT compliance activities undertaken within Pearson Finance Services (PFS), with a view to continuous improvement in processes and controls, and driving an automation agenda.
- Assist with global mapping exercise to identify indirect tax risks and opportunities.
- Assist with global review of AP, AR and VAT return processes with a view to standardising and automating wherever possible.
- Working with key finance stakeholders in the business
- Interaction with VP Tax Business Support, Directors Global Indirect taxes, PFS Indirect Tax Manager, and other Tax Department members – regular contact
- Qualified tax consultant/accountant or experience working with big four or HMRC
- Strong technical ability - fully conversant with relevant UK and EU Indirect Tax legislation
- Familiarity with major accounting systems
- Computer literate with advanced excel
Must be able to demonstrate the use of the above skills, experience, knowledge and qualifications over reasonable period of time.
- Accounting experience
- Experience with and ability to work with Oracle, or desire and motivation to learn
- Knowledge of other indirect tax systems
- A clear understanding of the UK VAT rules affecting a global education, print and digital company
- Partial exemption experience
- Professional, enthusiastic and energetic.
- Able to think globally, the suitable candidate should have gained exposure to other global indirect taxes e.g. EU VAT, Sales tax, GST etc.
- A team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently where necessary, and carry through varied projects to a satisfactory conclusion.
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Sep 14, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1812889
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.