Revenue & Customs Digital Technology Services (RCDTS) was set up in 2015 as a subsidiary of HMRC’s Chief Digital & Information Officer Group and has one of the largest customer bases in the world.
This role is a leadership role within the Messaging Delivery Group (DG) which manages the build and running of HMRC's messaging services from its centres in Southend and Telford.
The successful candidate will be responsible for owning and enhancing the Messaging technology roadmap working closely with Chief Technology Office (CTO) Platform Architects to ensure alignment with wider Platform Architecture Blueprints, architecture specifications and HMRC standards. This will contribute to HMRC’s end state architecture, their current state and the transition roadmaps. This role has team management responsibility for a number of Technical Architects.
This is a demanding role and, as part of the Messaging DG Senior Leadership Team (SLT), the successful candidate will engage at a strategic level and be involved in setting organisational objectives, influencing policy, and leading on transformation, technical and business change. Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Leading and managing a team of architects, designers and researchers in the development of solutions architectures;
- Providing architectural governance to the Messaging DG’s portfolio of projects.
- Ensuring appropriate standards (corporate, industry, national and international) are adhered to;
- Analysing the existing architectural landscape, identifying opportunities and generating ideas for continuous improvement and new solutions.
- Establishing policy and strategy for solutions architecture components.
- Taking responsibility for the strategy and methods used in implementing a systems architecture.
- Keeping senior management and stakeholders up-to-date on technology trends and developments, make recommendations and providing advice on commercial implications and business opportunities, including quality standards and quality control processes;
- Leading the creation of strategies, specifying requirements, conducting feasibility studies to identify benefits of alternative strategies and producing models of organisational information and communication needs, including identifying potential risks and impacts of those strategies and mitigating against them; and
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate practical experience in the following key areas:
- Leading a successful team and managing internal talent;
- Experience of developing large scale Solution Architectures and Solution Designs in the areas of reusable enterprise Integration, Middleware and Messaging;
- Developing and successfully implementing an efficient and robust architectural governance framework;
- Driving and delivering technological change against a background of organisational transformation;
- Previously provided subject matter expertise on one or more of the following; SOA design patterns, Integration Middleware, Messaging and API design and management;
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of emerging technology trends and developments – identifying and investigating technologies, products, methods and techniques to assess their potential benefit to organisational IT strategy; and
- Developing technical capability within an organisation, including empowering, supporting, developing and mentoring staff to achieve the highest performance standards.
Ideally, the successful candidate will also demonstrate experience in the following areas:
- Working in an Agile environment, with Agile methodologies such as TDD, Scrum, Kanban, etc.;
- Environment virtualisation, deployment and testing automation;
- Micro Service Architectures design / development; and
- Release and configuration management.