Contract type: Permanent, full time
Report to: Executive Director
Key Relationships: PL Executive Leadership Team (ELT) members and advisors, Senior Executives and relevant staff at Premier League Clubs, PL Head of Policy and Supporter Relations, equality and inclusion bodies e.g. Kick It Out, Stonewall, Level Playing Field, Football partners and applicable fan groups at national and club level, relevant parliamentarians, policy officials and statutory non-departmental public bodies e.g. EHRC
Location: Premier League, Brunel Building, 57 North Wharf Road, London W2 1HQ
The Premier League is creating a new post of Head of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, to co-ordinate our policies and programmes in this vital area. The recruitment process for this post was paused in early 2020 due to COVID-19 and we are now in a position to recommence our search.
We are firmly committed to championing equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI), and using the power and popularity of the League to deal with discrimination in football. Together with our clubs, we are proud of the diversity throughout the Premier League, in the stands, on the pitch and within our communities. However, while good progress has been made in partnership with a range of stakeholders, we are also aware that much more needs to be done, and the Premier League is committed to further promoting EDI throughout our competition and beyond.
This role will have a broad remit:
- Encouraging and supporting best practice at Clubs;
- Liaising with external partners and leading on the EDI campaigns and programmes that we deliver with them, including Stonewall and Kick It Out;
- Liaising with other football stakeholders on EDI ambitions across the game, including the EFL, FA, PFA and LMA;
- Working with colleagues at the Premier League on EDI matters.
Under our banner of ‘This is Everyone’s Game’, the successful candidate will help drive meaningful policy and practice to underpin campaigns such as ‘No Room for Racism’ and ‘Rainbow Laces’.
The scope of the work that is delivered in this role is broad and the postholder will need to be adept at leading campaigns and programmes, operational efficiency, stakeholder collaboration and driving forward ambitious plans. Whilst vital support will be provided across the Premier League business function, much of the work delivered in this role will be externally facing and the postholder will need to be dynamic and responsive to the work that we do across our clubs and with our partners.
Main duties include but are not limited to:
- Supporting the development of the Premier League’s EDI strategy and developing operational guidance across the Premier League to embed and facilitate best practice, including meeting legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Coordinating current and proposed PL policies and practices to promote equality, diversity and inclusion and to tackle discrimination. This will involve setting KPIs and working with multiple PL departmental areas (including Policy, Supporter Relations, Football, Youth and Community, Communications and Marketing) as well as clubs, football partners and external stakeholders, to support and enhance a range of programmes and practices aimed at achieving those KPIs.
- Working with partners where EDI issues form part of the relationship and/or joint initiatives e.g. with the PFA, LMA, PGMOL, broadcast/commercial partners, Sport England, the British Council, Government Departments.
- Collaborating with colleagues to guide our work and oversee operational delivery of our programmes with specific stakeholders and partners where EDI issues are the main element of the relationship e.g. EHRC, Kick It Out, Stonewall, Level Playing Field.
- Leading the ongoing development and implementation of the PL Equality Standard (PLES) which is undertaken by clubs, including:
- Policy, data evaluation, and training
- Developing league-wide summaries of PLES progress
- Oversight of governance procedures including club support/submissions and a thorough Independent Panel and assessment process
- Oversight of the appointed PLES delivery partner and management of any other organisations / consultants commissioned to help deliver the PLES, including project management and administration
- Working with The FA and EFL on cross-football EDI issues.
- Supporting processes for regular consultation and two-way communication with key groups / individuals so that complex issues are understood and appreciated; with relevant, meaningful strategies and initiatives implemented and continuously improved. Groups will range from players, managers and supporters, to those connected to our programmes in communities and schools.
- Working closely with our Policy and Supporter Relations team, Marketing Department, Football Department, Communications and Online teams in assisting the development and delivery of specific inclusion programmes.
- Championing an ongoing culture of equality and inclusion across all business functions, working with Premier League HR and members of ELT to ensure that the League, as an organisation, adheres to an agreed Equality Standard.
Requirements for the role
- Significant experience of managing complex stakeholder relationships and programmes, with an appreciation of the importance of EDI in corporate organisations
- Evidence of a person-centred approach with an understanding of the rights, needs and best interests of groups currently under-represented within the Premier League
- Proven record of operational delivery across programmes
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with stakeholders and colleagues at all levels.
- Good management skills, including the ability to direct, organise, schedule and budget for a variety of projects and partner matters often at the same time
- Excellent organisational skills, commitment to team-work, and approach to partnership delivery and activation
Professional and interpersonal skills
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship management and influencing skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Creative in thinking, with a flexible, pragmatic approach to problem solving and negotiation
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Good knowledge of IT systems and programmes (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- High level of integrity with the ability to deal with sensitive and confidential matters
- Willingness to travel within England and Wales
Nice-to-haves for the role
- Interest in and knowledge of football/elite sport
- Media awareness
The Premier League is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. All appointments will be made based on merit.
To apply, please visit our careers site. The closing date for applications is Friday 30 October 2020.