Head of People Operations
Based: UK (with expected travel to US from time to time)
Group Overview: YMU Group is a leading management and professional services company based out of the UK and US. Our mission is to bring added success to everyone who deals with us – both talent and industry clients. We aim to create the circumstances where talented people can build their reputation, influence and success.
We work courageously and persistently with elite talent and clients who represent the best in the industry. We provide a vast portfolio of services to a wide range of professionals consisting of leaders in entertainment, film, music, radio, television, sport and the arts. This includes athletes, authors, digital influencers, media rights holders, musicians, producers, TV and radio personalities, and digital artists.
We strive to be the best company to work for, and are constantly looking for ways to improve on every level, from providing excellent services to our clients, to staff satisfaction, to diversity and inclusion, mental health and wellbeing.
Our core values: We are client first: The Group’s entire purpose and DNA is centred around serving our clients first and foremost
We are collaborative: We are the many not the few. Clients can access breadth and scale of our service
We are curious: Our clients expect us to be progressive, innovative and informed.
We are egoless: Team is at the core of everything that we do, and the strength of the team is in the collective, not the individual
We are courageous: We are clear about who we are even when that can be deemed as controversial
Job Purpose: This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced HR professional to help build a truly world-class People function at one of the world’s leading talent management companies. The Head of People Operations will be tasked with designing and building elements of a People function that meets the current and future needs of an ever evolving and exciting global business. This role requires an innovative, emotionally intelligent, creative, driven and pragmatic person to build the infrastructure and support to help all colleagues thrive at YMU.
Ideally, this individual should have the experience of both helping build a HR/People function from scratch, as well as experience working in an established function such that they are able to identify what would work best to build a market leading People function. They would need to build this capability with a small team, at first, and therefore needs to be willing and able to operate at an executive level to understand the needs of the business and design a function to meet those needs, while also getting stuck in with executing the plan
• Recruitment and Onboarding: Develop a clear and structured recruitment and onboarding process for the Group, and then, working alongside the divisions, own the development of the job description, sourcing and interviewing of candidates, and onboarding process.
• Employee Relations: Be a true HR business partner, acting as a partner for leaders in the business to manage employee relation matters, while also being the point of escalation for any colleague in the business that requires HR support. Will also manage any employment litigation case and develop a system to identify, pre-empt and manage situations, where possible
• HR Admin: Ensure that YMU complies with all HR compliance and legal matters in UK and US, as well as ensuring that all employee records are kept up to date in our HR systems
• HR Risk Management: Proactively identify HR related, organisational risk and advise on approaches to mitigate.
• Payroll administration: Manage payroll for the UK on a monthly basis, reviewing, amending and signing off all files produced. Update salary spreadsheets to ensure up to date records are kept. Assist Finance with any payroll related queries. Liaise with our external payroll providers to ensure that all colleagues are paid correctly and on time
• Talent pipeline: Enable the development and implementation of a proactive resourcing strategy to identify talent pipelines in areas of key organisational need
• Performance management: Assist the divisions in developing and completing their performance management process. Also identify ways to improve the current performance management process
• Employee engagement: Oversee employee engagement and develop and execute initiatives to enhance it, and develop mechanisms to measure the success
• Benefits: Manage and process employee benefits, including Private Medical, Life Assurance, Employee Assistance Program and Pension. Work alongside our brokers to ensure yearly rates are kept competitive.
• HR Software: Continue to implement and improve the HR portal for colleagues. Ensuring all information is accurate and up to date, and colleagues have a sound understanding of the platform.
• Will be responsible for managing a small team (based in the UK and US), setting them goals, providing them with day to day support, and developing their careers
• While this role will own the above, they will use their knowledge and expertise work alongside our Joint Group COO and Head of Performance to develop YMU’s People Strategy to build a world-class people function
• Manage the relationship with Citation & Bambee our HR Advisors –being their main point of contact
• Previous experience in a senior HR capacity.
• CIPD Qualification (level 7 preferably).
• Knowledge of UK employment law and HR best practices, with a base knowledge of US employment law. Note: A clear plan will be needed to ensure that we comply with all employment laws in the US, even if the person is not an expert in US employment law
• A proactive approach that acts as a true business partner across the Group
• Organisational skills enabling you to priorities and set realistic timescales and deadlines
• Self-starter looking for a role which offer autonomy and personal development
• Curious and inquisitive, ensuring that they are always up to speed on the latest laws and regulations, and continually looks for ways to improve themselves and the business.
• Clearly identifies with YMU’s ways of working.
• Comfortable with travelling to all UK locations (Central London, Chiswick and Manchester) and US locations (LA, New York, Washington DC) when required
What we Offer…
We offer a wide variety of benefits including:
• Colleagues Incentive Scheme
• Opportunity to participate in YMU's Share Scheme
• Private medical after 12 months' service
• Life insurance
• Enhanced parental leave
• Employee pension scheme
• Unlimited holiday
• Access to flexible working conditions
YMU Group is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to protected diversity characteristics such as race/ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. All successful job applications are subject to referencing and background checks.