Build and lead the Account Management team to ensure HMLR’s customers are managed in line with our Customer Strategy and customer management plan. Identifying and delivering improvements will be a key focus to this role, which will provide mutual benefit for HMLR and our customers that meet our stretching strategic objectives and KPIs. The Head of Account Management will co-ordinate account management and engagement across all HMLR directorates and groups, driving best practice and ensuring that our customers are effectively managed throughout HMLR’s transformation portfolio activity and that the voice of the customer is brought back into the organisation.
Your key responsibilities, although not exhaustive, will be to:
- Develop and deliver the account management plan, ensuring that stretching targets are delivered through the team, with particular focus on rework reduction, application quality, new product uptake and generating, sharing and actioning customer insight.
- Define the relationships with HMLRs key strategic customers and through the Account Management team strategic account planning process, build and develop the relationships for mutual benefit. Own identified accounts through robust account plans and ensure devolved customer engagement is standardised and in line with the customer management plan.
- Lead and develop the Account Management team to deliver a professional service, driving a culture of continuous learning and development, which supports delivery of the Customer Strategy.
- Act as Head of Profession within HMLR.
- Develop strong working relationships with the Corporate Communications team to deliver consistent and timely messaging to customers and run campaigns to support and drive key initiatives e.g. digital mortgage uptake.
- Work collaboratively with key stakeholders across the organisation to drive continuous process and system improvements and ensure timely delivery to customers.
- Champion the voice of the customer within HMLR, ensuring effective change management support is provided to the customer.
- Drive improved customer and market insight to ensure HMLR activity meets changing needs.
- Develop effective reporting to drive improvement in managing customers (e.g. extend customer knowledge base) to inform and build internal colleagues’ understanding of customer needs.
- Identify and manage potential risks to customer management and engagement, providing contingencies and recommendations for remedial action / mitigation.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Direct line management for the Account Management Team.
- Budget holder acts in line with requirements detailed in personal letter of delegation from Accounting Officer. Approx. £30k Travel and Subsistence. Training, development and conference budget is covered centrally.
This role requires someone who has perhaps worked in bank sector, privatised utilities or large SMEs (where political influencing is different but also sensitive) in regulated industries. It would be beneficial to have someone who has had some experience of working in the legal sector and banking (retail / commercial) to understand how that market works and the technical environment that goes with it.
In terms of sector experience, we appreciate candidates from a strong technical & change environment. Those with manufacturing backgrounds are attractive from a process point of view (and being operationally led) where there’s a cross over with digital. Manufacturing and operationally led experience is also welcomed, providing you have experience in other sectors to balance this out (from a more fast-moving world). FMCG exposure is a benefit but not a pre-requisite. It would be advantageous to have fast turnaround results and reporting brought in but we would also like to see b2b experience within that (and/or channel experience).
We are looking for a typical sales personality with the balance to be able to nurture & develop people and respect existing cultures. You will need to have the energy to continue to drive change and best practice in an environment where the majority of people won’t have the experience of private sector, mature sales and marketing environments.
It is essential that you are able to demonstrate the following skills and experience in your application and at interview:
- Significant experience of strategic account management with tangible, demonstrable results
- Evidence of influencing and relationship building at a senior level that has delivered change
- Experienced in managing multiple stakeholders to achieve results
- Inspiring and experienced change leader, leading a new team through change
- High energy, high impact, results orientated leader with the ability to challenge and navigate the politics of a large organization
- Evidence of articulating a strategic vision, mobilising a team behind it, and delivering on the execution
- An advocate for the customer at all times and able to influence decision making across the organisation to take the customer into account, particularly during transformation change activity
- Able to drive and deliver change for an enhanced customer experience across the organisation
- Able to capture accurate customer insight data and effectively analyse and communicate key findings to strategic stakeholders in the organisation to inform changes to process, policy, systems and behaviours
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to build positive and successful strategic relationships
- Ability to manage conflict / sensitive issues to deliver positive results
- Ability to set up new processes within a new team and be highly effective quickly
- Able to coach and develop a team promoting a culture of continuous improvement and development.
It would be beneficial or advantageous if applicants had experience of:
- Strong leadership and stakeholder abilities, with the demonstrable ability to take people with you
- Strong communication, influencing and persuasion skills
- Customer Account Management Skills
- Experience of team management
- Previous experience in BD, Sales, Account management.
- Results orientation – to demonstrate tenacity to deliver, leading by example and know the basics not leaving the delivery to everyone else– i.e. can coach with credibility and pull from experience (of challenging situations).
- Experience of working in a variety of cultures. e.g. corporates but also smaller sections / businesses i.e. can turn your hand as needed but can also do the political influencing (and not get overly frustrated by it!)
- Will be enthusiastic, energised and able to lead by example but recognise the environment you’re working in i.e. immature for sales & marketing activity and often driven by external events outside the organisation’s control (though very similar to group structures / regulated / competitive considerations there is obviously less control than private sector. There are multi-multiple stakeholders i.e. different departments)
- Would suit an experienced account manager who has the gravitas (and desire) to move in to a leadership role in name (i.e. have built their experience elsewhere & have the experience of running, leading and developing a team and will have strong stakeholder influencing skills i.e. they may have developed skills through different cultures / roles). Also need to be able to balance multi-stakeholders (potentially with strong, important and conflicting views)
- The role needs a collaborator but one who is focused on delivery and tenacious to keep that moving whilst taking others with them.